Shredded Chicken Made in a Dutch Oven always comes out juicy and full of flavor. You only need 3 ingredients and 60 minutes to make this recipe!
I really don’t like rotisserie chicken. I’m not a fan of the whole craving process, and the meat seems a little greasy to me. When a recipe calls for shredded chicken, I much rather make my own shredded chicken using freshly cooked chicken breast.
I like cooking my chicken in a dutch oven. The chicken broth adds flavor to the chicken and makes sure it doesn’t come out dry.
Make sure you let your chicken sit for at least 10 minutes before shredding it. That will help it reatin some of its juices. Also, make sure you salt the chicken. The chicken broth has some sodium in it, so you don’t need a TON of seasoning. I would recommend ½ teaspoon table salt per pound or 1 teaspoon kosher salt per pound.
Do you have questions?
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add 1 cup of chicken broth ( or water) to a dutch oven. Place 1-2 pounds of chicken in the dutch oven. Add ½ teaspoon table salt per pound or 1 teaspoon kosher salt per pound. Cover and cook for 60 minutes. Take out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before shredding.
Store shredded chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Yes, you can! Let the chicken cool completely ( to prevent ice from forming on the chicken) and place in a freezer bag or airtight container. Store up to 4 months.
Watch how it’s made…
I hope you love this Shredded Chicken recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
Shredded chicken made in a Dutch oven always comes out juicy and full of flavor. You only need 3 ingredients and 60 minutes to make this recipe!
- 1 cup of chicken broth or water
- 1–2 pounds of chicken breast
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon table salt per pound or 1 teaspoon kosher salt per pound)
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth or water to a dutch oven. Place 1-2 pounds of chicken breast in a singly layer ( do not overlap), and sprinkle salt over the top.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour. once it’s done take it out and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate for cutting board. Shred with two forks. keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: Shredded Chicken, Chicken, How to cook chicken, Chicken Breast