Shredded Chicken Made in a Dutch Oven always comes out juicy and full of flavor. You only need 3 ingredients and 60 minutes to make this recipe!
I really don't like a rotisserie chicken. I'm not a fan of the whole craving process, and the meat seems a little greasy to me. When a recipe calls for shredded chicken, I much rather make my own shredded chicken using freshly cooked chicken breast.
Whether you call it pulled chicken or shredded chicken, this is my favorite method of making it. The chicken breast does NOT dry out at all. Other methods can dry out the already lean chicken breast, making shredded chicken in the oven is the way to go!
Make sure you let your chicken sit for at least 10 minutes before shredding it. That will help it retain some of its juices. Also, make sure you salt the chicken. The chicken broth has some sodium in it, so you don't need a TON of seasoning. I would recommend ½ teaspoon table salt per pound or 1 teaspoon kosher salt per pound.
Do you have questions?
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth ( or water) to a dutch oven.
- Place 1-2 pounds of chicken in the dutch oven.
- Sprinkle it with ½ teaspoon table salt per pound or 1 teaspoon kosher salt per pound.
- Cover the dutch oven and cook for 60 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before shredding.
Store shredded chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Yes, you can! Let the chicken cool completely ( to prevent ice from forming on the chicken) and place in a freezer bag or airtight container. Store up to 4 months.
Watch how shredded chicken is made…
I hope you love this Shredded Chicken recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 1 cup of chicken broth or water
- 1-2 pounds of chicken breast
- Salt (½ teaspoon table salt per pound or 1 teaspoon kosher salt per pound)
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth or water to a dutch oven. Place 1-2 pounds of chicken breast in a singly layer ( do not overlap), and sprinkle salt over the top.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour. once it's done take it out and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate for cutting board. Shred with two forks. keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
Keywords: Shredded Chicken, Chicken, How to cook chicken, Chicken Breast