These Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are creamy, tangy, and so good. They take a little longer to make but are worth it! Serve with rice and refried beans to complete your dinner!
Sour cream enchiladas have been my go-to Mexican restaurant order for years. I don’t even know why I pretend to look over the menu. I know exactly what I want and that two chicken enchiladas that are completely drenched in a creamy, cheesy, and slightly tangy sauce.
I think I did a pretty good job at balancing flavor and calories. There is enough creamy sour cream sauce to coat the tortillas and satisfy your craving. Two enchiladas are 360 calories, and 3 enchiladas are 550 calories.
Do you have questions?
I’ve used corn and flour tortillas for enchiladas. Both have different advantages, but corn tortillas are the way to go for these Sour Cream Enchiladas. They really soak up the sauce, and their flavor adds another layer to these enchiladas.
Corn tortillas are made from whole grains, have fewer calories, sodium, and carbs, and have more fiber than flour tortillas.
I’ve had this happen before, and it’s frustrating. To prevent them from breaking or ripping, make sure they are warm. I microwaved 12 of them on a plate for 20 seconds, divided them in half, moved the top half to the bottom, and microwaved them for another 20 seconds. They should be warm to the touch but not too hot to handle.
Watch how it's made…
I hope you love this Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (about 1-1.25 pounds)
- 3 green onions sliced, light and dark parts separated
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 4-oz can diced green chiles
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 corn tortillas, taco size
Sour Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9"x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together shredded chicken, light parts of green onions, ½ cup of Monterey Jack cheese, diced green chilies, salt, chili powder, and smoked paprika.
- Warm up the tortillas*, so they are easier to work with. Place about 2 tablespoons of the chicken into each tortilla. Roll them up and place them, seam side down, into the baking dish.
Sour Cream Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and let it cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it turns light brown. Continue to whisk while it cooks so it doesn't brown.
- Add in the chicken broth and whisk till the sauce is smooth. Cook for two more minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and ¾ cup of Monterey Jack cheese. Stir until the sauce is smooth. Salt to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the enchiladas. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Top with dark parts of green onions and serve immediately.
To prevent your corn tortillas from ripping microwave them for 20 seconds, divide them in half, move the top half to the bottom, and microwaved them for another 20 seconds. They should be warm to the touch but not too hot to handle.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Serving Size: 2 Enchiladas
- Calories: 363
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Protein: 23g
Keywords: Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, Sour Cream, Chicken, Enchiladas, Chicken Enchiladas