Quick and easy weeknight dinner. Don’t wait any longer! Make these spicy, smokey, Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos for your next taco night.
Taco night is usually one of the best nights of the week, so why not also make it one of the easiest night, and hey, make it a healthy night as well! These slow cooker chicken tacos with knock your taste buds out! They are a little spicy- be warned- but nothing a true taco lover can’t handle.
Now if your thinking you can just skip over the lime and cilantro, don’t. The lime really brightens up the chicken, and the cilantro adds another level of flavor. If you are one of those people who isn’t a fan of cilantro, 1. I don’t understand you. 2. Try it till you like it. Who knows, maybe this is the time you realize cilantro is amazing. Do you really want to go through life missing out on all has to offer?
Also if you can’t find Cotija in your specialty cheese section, Monterrey Jack will work in its place. But let me tell you, Cotija is AMAZING on these tacos.
Hit print to screenshot this recipe for later, or Pin it and come back when you are ready.Print
- 8 oz of salsa (about half a jar)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 oz can of whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 lb of chicken breast
- 1 lime
- ½ cup of cilantro leaves
- 10 Hard taco shells
- 4 oz of Cotija cheese
- Pour half the salsa (about ¼ of a 16 oz jar) in the slow cooker, add in the garlic, and salt.
- Dice 2 chipotle chilies and add them to the slow cooker. Add 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add in chicken, top with remaining half of salsa.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hrs, or until chicken is easily shredded.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Mix in the juice from the lime, and add the cilantro.
- Divide chicken among taco shell and top with cheese
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Serving Size: 2 Tacos
- Calories: 380