Easy and simple Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos take no time to throw together and always come out delicious!
I made these for the first time 6 years ago, and it’s a recipe I keep going back to. It’s so simple and so good.
These are easy to make. Add taco seasoning, salsa, and chicken to a slow cooker, and cook for a few hours. The result is tender and tasty chicken that you finish off with cilantro and lime!
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Salsa: Since this recipe has few ingredients, each one can make a big impact. Choose a high-quality salsa that you really like. I used Tenayo, and the chicken came out so tasty.
Cilantro: Optional, but I feel like it brightens up the chicken.
Lime Juice: The lime juice brightens up the chicken.
Taco Toppings: Some popular toppings are shredded cheese, lettuce, pickled red onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole.
🔪 How to Make Slow-Cooker Chicken Tacos
Mix: Mix together the salsa and taco seasoning together in a slow cooker. Add chicken.
Cook: Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
Shred: Remove chicken and shred it with 2 forks. Return it to the slow cooker. Mix in cilantro and lime juice.
Assemble: Warm your tortillas and fill them with shredded chicken and your favorite toppings.
Research conducted by USDA FSIS indicates that it's safe to cook large cuts of meat and poultry in a slow cooker.
Some popular toppings are shredded cheese, lettuce, pickled red onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 1 ¼ cup salsa I used Tenayo original salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning or ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 10 tortillas
- 1 ¼ cup cheese like cotija, cheddar, Mexican, Monterey jack
- other toppings like lettuce, guacamole, pico, pickled onions, sour cream, lime, tomato
- Mix together salsa and taco seasoning in the slow cooker. Add chicken. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred it with 2 forks. Return it to the slow cooker, and mix in cilantro and lime juice.
- Warm your tortillas and fill them with shredded chicken and your toppings.
Want more easy weeknight dinners?
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- See more guidelines at USDA.gov
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!