These Easy Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce are made with corn tortillas, shredded chicken, sour cream, green chilies, taco seasoning, monterey jack cheese, and green enchilada sauce.
This is the best chicken enchilada recipe I’ve ever made! I really like using corn tortillas and adding sour cream and green chilies to the filling. It takes these chicken enchiladas to the next level!
I made these chicken enchiladas with green sauce, but you can also use red. Both taste great!
If you're looking for a beefy enchilada, check out my tex-mex enchiladas. They are easy to make and stuffed with shredded beef.
Corn Tortillas- I think corn tortillas taste best with the enchilada sauce and chicken, but you can swap them out for four tortillas.
Shredded Chicken - you can use rotisserie or make your own shredded chicken.
Green Enchilada Sauce – Using premade sauce makes this dinner easy to throw together. My favorite green enchilada sauce is Siete’s Green Enchilada Sauce.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce
- Make Filling: Mix the shredded chicken, part of the cheese, sour cream, green chiles, and taco seasoning.
- Warm Tortillas: Warm up the tortillas so they are easier to work with. They still might split when rolling, but that’s okay. You won't be able to tell after they are done cooking.
- Prep Casserole Dish: Pour ½ cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish
- Fill Tortillas: Scoop about ¼ cup of the enchilada filling into the tortillas and roll tightly. Place them into the casserole dish.
- Top: Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the prepared enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake: Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese and sauce are bubbling.
If you don’t want to use rotisserie chicken, an easy alternative is cooking chicken breast in a dutch oven (it’s my favorite way to get shredded chicken). It’s easy and straightforward.
Corn tortillas are pretty fragile. Warming them up in the microwave for 30-60 seconds will help them become more pliable and less likely to break. Even if they still do break, that’s okay. You won't be able to tell after the enchiladas are done cooking.
Want more easy weeknight dinners?
Easy Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce
- 2 ½ cups shredded chicken breast you can use rotisserie or make your own shredded chicken
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 4 oz cans of green chiles drained
- 1 packet of taco seasoning or 2 teaspoons
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, 1 cup of the monterey jack cheese, sour cream, green chiles, and taco seasoning.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper and microwave for 30-60 seconds, or until warm.
- Pour ½ cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9 x13 casserole dish
- Scoop ¼ cup of the enchilada filling into the tortillas and roll tightly. Place them in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese and sauce are bubbling.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
- See more guidelines at USDA.gov