Baked Chimichanga is an easier version of your favorite Mexican restaurant dish. These are made with shredded chicken, refried beans, cheese, salsa, and spices. Top it with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, or pico de gallo. These crispy baked chicken chimichangas only take 10 minutes to get in the oven.
I don’t know about you, but I HATE frying things. It’s so messy, and you use so much oil. Also, I feel like I’m just asking for scar marks on my hands whenever I do it. (maybe it the PTSD from working at Whataburger when I was a teenager). So whenever I can bake, I bake. I love these baked chimichangas. They taste like the classic restaurant version (I think the butter helps) and are super easy to make!
What is a Chimichanga?
It’s just a fried burrito, usually filled with refried beans, shredded chicken or beef, and cheese.
I love the origin story of the chimichanga. One night Monica Flin, owner of El Charro Café in downtown Tucson, was making herself a midnight snack when one of her nieces bumped into her causing her to drop a bean burrito into a pot of hot oil. Not wanting to curse in front of her young niece, she yelled out the word chimichanga.
Make sure not to overstuff the burrito and wrap it uptight. If you don’t, the beans and cheese might come out while baking.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE OTHER EASY DINNER RECIPES:
I hope you love this Baked Chimichanga recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 1/3 cup refried beans
- 1 cup cheese
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 10 (8 inch- fajita sized) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or pico de gallo for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients (shredded chicken through ground coriander) together in a large bowl.
- Warm tortillas up in a microwave, so they are easier to work with
- Place about 1/3 cup of the chimichanga filling in the center of each tortilla. Fold into a burrito and place on a large baking sheet
- Brush with melted butter. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or pico de gallo.
- Serving Size: 2 Chimichangas
- Calories: 530
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Protein: 32g