Quick, easy, & so good. These Italian Beefs have melty cheese, piles of shredded beef, bell peppers, tangy pepperoncini, and a broth you’ll want to drench your sandwich in!
Italian Beefs originated in Chicago. You make them by cooking roast beef in au jus sauce and serving it in an Italian hoagie roll. There are a few different variations, but my favorite has tons of bell peppers and pepperoncini in it.
It’s no wonder this sandwich was a dinner staple growing up. They are so juicy and flavorful and so easy to make! Serve them with chips or homemade fries, for an easy dinner.
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Top Round Roast: There are a few different cuts of meat people like to use for Italian Beef Sandwiches. I like using top round roast since it has less fat than other cuts.
Hoagie Rolls: You will want a thick roll for your sandwich. You'll need it to support the meat and juices.
🔪 How to Make Italian Beef Sandwiches
Prep Ingredients: Cut the bell peppers. Mix broth and au jus seasoning together in the crock pot. Add roast add sliced peppers. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top.
Cook: Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours.
Shred: Remove the roast and shred it with two forks. Return the meat to the crock pot.
Assemble: Assemble your sandwiches.
👩🍳The best way to assemble an Italian Beef
I feel very strongly about this, and after many years of perfecting, this is the best way to assemble your Italian beef.
- Bottom Bun: Optional toasting for added structural integrity, but not necessary
- Cheese: Place the cheese on the bottom, this allows the cheese to melt and protects the bottom of the sandwich from getting too soggy and falling apart.
- Meat: Now that you have a stable bottom, add as much meat as you want
- Pepperchinies: Piles and piles of pepperchinies.
- Top Bun: If you want a dryer sandwich, you can stop here, but if you like it a little soggy, add 1-2 spoonfuls of the broth to the top bun.
The cut most often used is chuck roast. I use it sometimes, but if you don’t trim the excess fat away, the broth can be greasy. My favorite cut is top round roast which is cheaper and has less fat.
The meat for Italian Beefs and French Dips are made in a similar way, but Italian beefs have Italian spices, bell peppers, and pickled peppers, which gives it a different flavor.
Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 packet au jus gravy mix
- 2.5 lbs top round roast
- 3 red bell peppers cut into thin strips
- 1 .7-oz pack Italian salad dressing mix or 4 teaspoons
- 8 hoagie rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 16 jar sliced pepperoncini
- Mix broth and au jus seasoning together in the crock pot. Add roast and sliced peppers. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove the roast from the crock pot and shred it with two forks. Return meat to the crock pot.
- Assemble your sandwiches by laying cheese on the bottom of the sub, topping it with meat and peppers, then adding pepperoncini on top. If you want, add a little of the cooking liquid to the top half of the sub roll, or you can serve the broth in a bowl to dip the sandwich in.
Want more easy weeknight dinners?
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- See more guidelines at USDA.gov
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!