This slow cooker beef brisket tacos recipe is easy to make. It features tender, juicy brisket, warm, fluffy tortillas, and BBQ Sauce.
BBQ Brisket tacos are a staple of tex-mex cuisine. Blending Texas barbeque with Mexican tacos makes for a tasty fusion. My favorite toppings include cheese, red onions, cilantro, and more BBQ sauce.
You can make these tacos with leftover beef brisket or whip up a batch of slow cooker brisket and use that instead.
I used my homemade chipotle BBQ Sauce for a sweet and spicy kick. It's a pretty simple recipe. If you haven't ever made homemade barbecue sauce before, I suggest it!
♥ Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy to Make- All you need for this recipe is a brisket, a few spices, BBQ sauce, and tortillas.
- Fun Leftovers- If you have any leftovers, you can make a brisket quesadilla, brisket sandwich, or brisket grilled cheese!
- The Entire Family Will Love Them! - Everyone can customize their tacos with all their favorite taco toppings.
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Brisket Flat: If you have a hard time finding beef brisket or one that's less than 3 pounds, you can use chick roast instead.
Smokie BBQ Spice Rub: It's a simple rub with six common spices.
BBQ Sauce: I used my homemade chipotle pepper BBQ sauce for this recipe. It's sweet, with a little kick at the end. use your favorite homemade or store-bought bbq sauce.
Tortillas: Flour tortillas or corn tortillas would pair great with the barbeque brisket.
Toppings: I liked topping my tacos with red onion, cheese ( like Monterey Jack or Oaxaca cheese), and cilantro.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Brisket Tacos
1. Season Briket: Mix together the spices for the smokie BBQ rub and rub the seasoning all over the brisket.
2. Add Ingredients to Crock Pot: Pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce and place seasoned brisket into the Crock Pot.
3. Cook: Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Remove from slow cooker. Either shred or slice your brisket.
4. Assemble: Add brisket and your favorite taco toppings to a warm tortilla. Top off with more BBQ sauce.
If you can't find a brisket under 3 pounds, ask your butcher if they have any brisket in the back that you can cut into two and a half pounds. You can also buy a larger piece and cut down in size.
Best Toppings for Shredded Brisket Tacos
- Cole Slaw
- Monterey Jack Cheese, Cotija Cheese, or Oxacca Cheese
- Sour Cream
- More BBQ sauce!
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Diced Red Onions
- Fresh Cilantro
- Green Onions
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Hot Sauce
- Guacamole and Chips
- Side Salad
- Mexican Rice
Looking for More Tex-Mex Recipes?
- Walking Taco Bake - This is the grown-up version of frito pie. It only takes 35 minutes to make, and you can add all your favorite toppings!
- Carnitas Enchiladas - So easy to make! You make the carnitas in a slow cooker in the morning and assemble the enchiladas when you get home from work.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos - This is my go-to recipe for when I want an easy and delicious comfort food.
❓ Recipe Questions
Meat prices have risen over the past few years, but brisket is still considered a more affordable cut of meat.
Chuck roast, also called poor man's brisket, is a good alternative to brisket. The cooking time will stay the same. However, because the cut of meat is fattier and more tender than brisket, you won't be able to slice it. You'll have to shred it.
This recipe will give you enough meat for 12 tacos.
A brisket is a large beef cut with two parts, the point, and the flat. Most grocery stores sell them separately. Brisket flats are in the shape of a rectangle.
Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket Tacos
- 2 ½ pounds brisket
- smokey BBQ spice rub recipe below
- 1 ½ cups BBQ sauce
- 12 tortillas flour or corn
- your favorite toppings: cilantro, monterey jack, diced red onion, ect.
Smokey BBQ Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Mix the spices for the Smokey BBQ Rub. Rub the seasoning all over the brisket. Add the brisket to the slow cooker.
- Pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce into your slow cooker. Place seasoned brisket on top. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the brisket from slow cooker and let the meat rest for 10 minutes. Either shred the meat or slice it thinly.
- Add brisket, BBQ sauce, and your favorite taco toppings to a warm tortilla.