These shredded beef tacos are the absolute best! After several rounds of testing, I discovered the secrets to making these beef tacos super flavorful. Check out the tips below! This recipe is easy to make, and is perfect for a fun family taco night!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Beef Chuck Roast: You need about a 3-pound chuck roast for this recipe.
Beef Broth: You only need a cup of store-bought beef broth for this recipe. You can also dissolve one bullion cube in one cup of water.
Spices: You will need to mix together a blend of 8 Mexican spices. Most of it will go in the slow cooker to flavor the meat as it cooks. But you will also hold on to two tablespoons of it to help flavor the meat once you've shredded it.
Lime Juice: Lime juice helps to cut though the heaviness of the meat and adds a bright flavor. I like to use 2 limes for a strong citrus flavor, but you may want to start with one lime and add more juice if you want.
Taco Toppings: Cilantro and diced onions go great with this simple taco. Guacamole, sour cream, and cheese would also be great additions.
Flour Tortillas: You will need 12-16 flour tortillas.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
How to Make Shredded Beef Tacos
Step 1: Cut meat into 3-4” chunks. Sear them in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 2: Add the beef to your crockpot along with the broth. Mix together the spices. Save 2 tablespoons for later. Sprinkle the remaining spice mixture over the beef.
Step 3: Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Once the beef is done, transfer the chunks to a plate, shred, then mix in the 2 remaining tablespoons of seasoning and juice from 1-2 limes.
Step 4: Assemble your tacos with your favorite taco toppings like fresh cilantro and diced onions.
Don't forget to keep 2 tablespoons of the spice mix. Adding spices to the shredded meat after it's done cooking gives it a punch of flavor.
Searing the chuck roast before adding it to the crockpot is optional, but it will add flavor to your beef and make your tacos taste even better.
Ways to Eat Leftovers
- Use it in a taco salad.
- Add the Mexican shredded beef to a burrito bowl.
- Add it to your eggs in the morning!
Crock Pot Shredded Beef Tacos
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 limes
- 14 tortillas
- Cut meat into 3-4” chunks.
- Add oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add your beef to the skillet. Don’t overcrowd. You may have to work in batches. Sear the beef on all sides.*
- Add the beef and broth to your crockpot.
- Mix together the spices. Save 2 tablespoons for later. Sprinkle the remaining spice mixture over the beef. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once the beef is done, transfer the chunks to a plate. Shredd your beef, then mix in the 2 remaining tablespoons of seasoning and juice from 1-2 limes.***
- Assemble your tacos with your favorite taco toppings.