Do you need an easy way to make shredded chicken for tacos, enchiladas, or burritos? I have a recipe for the tastiest crockpot Mexican shredded chicken. Scroll down for tips and tricks on how to make a stress-free, easy dinner.
I originally made this chicken for my crockpot chicken tacos, but after making it, I realized it could be used for many other Mexican dishes.
This has become my favorite way to make chicken for enchiladas. The chicken is so easy to make; the result is tender and tasty shredded chicken!
♥ Why this will make your life easier!
- Simple: Add taco seasoning, salsa, and chicken to a slow cooker and cook for a few hours. You finish off with cilantro and lime.
- Easy: Add your ingredients to the slow cooker in the morning, keep it warm until you get home, then assemble your dinner in no time.
- Versatile: This shredded chicken would also be great for a burrito bowl, taco salad, or quesadilla.
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
- Chicken: 1 ½ pounds of raw chicken should be more than enough for 10 enchiladas or 12 tacos. If you have leftovers, you can use them in a salad or burrito bowl the next day!
- Salsa: Since this recipe has few ingredients, each one can greatly impact the flavor. Choose a high-quality salsa that you like. I used Tenayo, and the chicken came out so tasty.
- Tacos Seasoning: Use your favorite taco seasoning.
- Cilantro: Optional, but I feel like it brightens up the chicken.
- Lime Juice: The lime juice brightens up the chicken.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to make Mexican Shredded Chicken
Step 1. Mix: Mix the salsa and taco seasoning together in a slow cooker. Add chicken.
Step 2. Cook: Cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 6 hours.
Step 3. Shred: Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return it to the slow cooker. Mix in cilantro and lime juice.
Step 4. Assemble: Use the shredded chicken to make your chicken tacos and enchiladas.
Cooking the chicken on high for 3 hours is fine, but if you have the time, cook the chicken on low for 6 hours. This will give you juicier chicken.
If you haven't upgraded to one of the new slow cookers that automatically switches to warm after it's done cooking, I suggest it. It's made my life so much easier.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
What to Make with Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Taco Salad
- Meal Prep Burrito Bowls (with the Mexican shredded chicken, rice, black beans, corn, guacamole!)
❓ Recipe Questions
What's the best way to shred chicken?
Since this chicken was cooked slowly, it's incredibly easy to shred. Shred by pulling the chicken apart with two forks. It should fall apart.
Are corn tortillas or flour tortillas better?
Corn tortillas are more traditional and give your tacos, enchiladas, etc., more flavor. Flour tortillas are more popular in the United States, maybe because they are easier to find and are less fragile.
What cheese is the best cheese to use?
I like using a Mexican blend of cheese for enchiladas and burritos. Oaxaca or Mozzarella is great for quesadillas. For Tacos, you can use Mexican, cheedar, or cotija cheese.
Is this spicy?
The spice lever for this chicken really depends on the types of salsa and taco seasoning you use. If you use a mild to medium salsa and regular taco mix, this shredded chicken will not be spicy at all. If you use spicy salsa and hot taco seasoning, you will have a spicier chicken for your tacos and enchiladas.
Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 1 ¼ cup salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning or ¼ cup of homemade taco seasoning
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- juice from 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Mix together salsa and taco seasoning in the slow cooker. Add chicken. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Return it to the slow cooker. Mix in lime juice and cilantro if you're using it.
- The chicken is ready to be used in enchiladas and tacos, or it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.