Tender and juicy shredded beef wrapped in a tortilla and smothered in enchilada sauce and melted cheese. These tex-mex enchiladas are easy, simple, and delicious.
🥰 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make shredded beef
- Simple and easy-to-find ingredients
What makes these Tex-Mex Enchiladas?
Tex-Mex is a collision of Texas and Mexican food. The red enchilada sauce, spice mixture, and method for cooking the enchiladas are Mexican, while the use of flour tortilla, large amounts of beef, and handfuls and handfuls of shredded cheese are very Texan.
Growing up in Texas, this is how we always made enchiladas. They are quick, easy, and so good!
If you're looking for more Texas dinners, then you need to check out this Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket recipe! The brisket is great for tacos and sandwiches!
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Chuck Roast: Chuck roast is perfect for slow cooking. When cooked low and slow, it becomes tender and juicy. Because of that, I recommend cooking it on low and not high.
Spices: We are going to use a mixture of chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to give the meat flavor that is perfect for enchiladas.
Red Enchilada Sauce: Use a jar of your favorite enchilada sauce to keep it simple, or make enchilada sauce from scratch.
Tortillas: You will need 10 taco-sized tortillas.
Cheese: I like using a Mexican Blend of cheese when making enchiladas with red sauce. Other options are Monterey Jack and Cheddar and Queso Asadero.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Shredded Beed Enchiladas
1. Make Shredded Beef: Add broth and chuck roast to a slow cooker. Sprinkle spices over the meat. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Remove the chuck roast and shred.
2. Roll Them Up: Add about ¼ cup of shredded beef and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese down the middle of a tortilla. Roll it up and place them in the pan, seam-side down.
3. Layer: Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
4. Bake: Bake for 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
If you make these with corn tortillas, you will need to warm the tortillas before rolling them to prevent the tortillas from breaking. To warm up corn tortillas, wrap a stack of them in a damp paper towel and microwave them on high for 30-60 seconds or until they are warmed.
❓ Recipe Questions
What’s the best cheese for tex-mex enchiladas?
I like using a Mexican blend of cheese for enchiladas with red sauce. It’s usually a combination of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Asadero and Queso Quesadilla Cheese. It melts well and has a strong enough flavor that goes well with red enchilada sauce.
More enchilada recipes!
Shredded Beef Enchiladas (Slow Cooker)
- 2 ½ - 3 pound chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 oz jar of your favorite red enchilada sauce
- 10 taco sized flour tortillas
- 2 cup of Mexican Blend cheese
Make Shredded Beef
- Add broth and chuck roast to a slow cooker. Sprinkle spices over the meat. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove the chuck roast from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread ½ cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Add about ¼ cup of shredded beef and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese downthe center of a tortilla. Roll it up and place it in the dish, seam-side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese melted. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.