Don’t let the name fool you. These Carnitas Enchiladas are pretty easy to make. The trick is cooking the pork in a slow cooker. It’s easy, and the meat comes out moist and flavorful. I love how this dish looks look like you put a ton of time and effort into dinner… when I really didn’t 😉
These pork carnitas enchiladas are an easy win. You cook the pork in a crockpot with onion, jalapenos, garlic, orange juice, and a few spices. It’s simple, and the meat comes out flavorful. Then you take the shredded pork and add it and some cheese to a tortilla. Roll up your tortillas, place them in a baking dish, and top with your favorite enchilada sauce and more cheese. It’s that simple to make this recipe that the whole family will love it.
I’ve tried out a few enchilada sauces, and my favorite so far is Siete’s Red Enchilada Sauce. It is on the spicier end, but it is sooooo good. The thick and creamy sauce pairs perfectly with these enchiladas. I just love it.
This recipe calls for orange juice to be added to the crockpot. I like using store bought orange juice (like Simply Orange) for this recipe just to make things that much easier. Fresh orange juice from oranges will taste better. But oranges aren’t quite in season yet so I’m taking simplicity’s side on this one.
I’ve made the carnitas with and without the jalapeno seeds. The seeds make the carnitas pretty spice, but I think the tortillas and cheese help mellow out the heat. If you want your dinner to be on the spicier side, include the jalapeno seeds. If you want a more mellow enchilada, don’t include the seeds.
OTHER CARNITAS RECIPIES
I went a little crazy with the carnitas and made 3 other recipes featuring the slow cooker pork. If you happened to buy too much pork and don’t know what to do with it, or are in the carnitas mood, check out the other recipes below.
I hope you love this carnitas enchilada recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
To make carnitas
- 1 1/2 lb lean boneless pork loin roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup orange juice (you can juice 2-3 oranges or use orange juice)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, salt, AND pepper
To make Enchiladas
- 15 oz enchilada sauce – my favorite is Siete Red Enchilada Sauce
- 8 flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas (6 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
To make Carnitas
- Add all of the carnitas ingredients to a large slow cooker, and give everything a stir to combine. Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. The pork is done once it shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred pork with a fork.
To make Enchiladas
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) baking dish or pan with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Using a slotted spoon, place about 1/3 cup of carnitas down the center of a tortilla. Add 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Roll tortillas tightly, and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with the other tortillas.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Included the jalapeno seeds for a medium spice level
- Serving Size: 1 Enchilada
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Protein: 24g
Keywords: carnitas enchiladas, carnitas, enchiladas, slow cooker