This easy Sausage and Peppers Sandwich with Cheese is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It’s a sheet pan meal that takes 30 minutes to make. Quick, simple, delicious.
Why you'll love these sheet pan sausage sandwiches:
- These Italian sheet pan sandwich takes about 30 minutes to make.
- Clean-up is super easy since you are baking the Italian sausage, onion, and bell peppers on a sheet pan.
- You can use either sweet or spicy Italian sausage. I like using spicy.
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Yellow Onion: any kind of onion will work, yellow, sweet, red, or white.
Italian Sausages: You can use hot and sweet Italian sausage links.
Rolls: The type of rolls for Sausage and Peppers Sandwich are sub or hoagie rolls. If you're looking to make a kid-sized version or just want to make a smaller portion, you can use a hot dog bun.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Sausage and Peppers Sandwich
1. Set Up: Position one of the oven racks towards the bottom of the oven and the other towards the top ( the top one is for broiling later).
2. Bake: Add peppers and onions to a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss everything together, then nestle the sausages in. Bake at 425F for about 25 minutes.
3. Assemble Sandwiches: When the sausage is done, load the hoagie rolls with sausage and peppers/ onion mixture. Place them on a clean sheet pan and top with mozzarella.
4. Melt Cheese: Turn on the broiler. Toast the hoagie rolls for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the buns are toasted on top.
❓ Recipe Questions
You can check with a meat thermometer. The USDA recommends cooking pork sausage to 160F.
You can check that the sausage is firm and its juices are clear. If you're still not sure cut it open to make sure the meat is no longer pink.
Sausage and Peppers Sandwich with Cheese
- 2 bell peppers cut into strips
- 1 yellow onion cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- black pepper to taste
- 6 Italian sausages links hot and/or sweet, about 1 pound
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella
- chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Position one of the oven racks towards the bottom of the oven and the other towards the top (the top one is for broiling later).
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Add peppers and onions to a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss everything together, then nestle the sausages into the vegetables. Bake until the sausages are cooked, and the vegetables are tender,, about 25 minutes.
- When the sausages are done, load the hoagie rolls with sausage and peppers/ onion mixture. Place them on a clean sheet pan and top with mozzarella.
- Turn on the broiler. Toast the hoagie rolls for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the buns are toasted on top.
More Easy Dinner Options
- Cook pork to a minimum temperature of 160F
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking points to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
- See more guidelines at USDA.gov