This Mediterranean Rice has onion, garlic, turmeric, cumin, butter, and olive oil. The delicious fluffy rice pairs well with chicken, kebobs, and grilled veggies.
Mediterranean Yellow Rice only uses one pot and takes 40 minutes to make. It’s easy and the perfect side for a weeknight meal.
Rice usually doesn’t store well, but this rice holds up well in the fridge! It lasted me for 3-4 days. It doesn’t dry out, probably from the butter and oil, and still tastes great days later!
This Mediterranean yellow rice goes great with chicken, kebobs, and grilled veggies.
- olive oil and butter
- yellow or sweet onion
- turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper
- chicken broth
- fresh cilantro for garnish
How to make Mediterranean Rice
- Cook the diced onions in butter and olive oil until translucent.
- Then add in garlic, turmeric, cumin, and pepper.
- Cook until the spices become fragrant. Then mix in the rice, salt, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Do you have questions?
This rice pairs well with chicken- like my Greek Chicken Thighs
For this dish, I wash my rice before cooking it. Washing the rice helps get rid of the starch that will make the grains stick to each other once cooked.
I hope you love this Yellow Rice recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
This easy Mediterranean Rice pilaf is a beautiful yellow color thanks to the turmeric and cumin used in it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow or sweet onion, diced, about 1 cups
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth*
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add olive oil and butter to a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the onions. cook the onions until translucent and soft, about 5-7 minutes
- Then add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the spices become fragrant. Then mix in the rice, salt, and chicken broth.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Once the rice is done, fluff with a fork and serve immediately. Top with chopped cilantro if you like.
If you do not use low sodium chicken broth, do not add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Wait till the rice is done cooking and salt to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 255 Calories
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 697g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: Mediterranean Rice, Yellow Rice, Rice, Side