These Air Fryer Chicken Flautas have chicken, bell peppers, green chilies, and cheese rolled in a crispy tortilla. Make a batch for now, and freeze a batch for later!
I love making these in the air fryer. The flour tortilla crisps up nicely, and the monterey jack cheese and sour cream melt together to make a cheesy filling.
Why you’ll love these chicken flautas
- Easy to Make: These are super easy to make and take less than 30 minutes! You can even use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Freeze Them for Later: This recipe makes 12 chicken flautas. If that’s too many for you, freeze them in a large plastic bag and have them whenever.
🥘 Ingredients & Substitutions
Shredded Chicken: Quickly cook up a few chicken cutlets in a skillet, or use a rotisserie chicken.
Monterey Jack Cheese: You can use monterey jack cheese, a Mexican blend, or pepper jack.
Bell Peppers & Green Chilies: Adds veggies to the mix and gives the flautas flavor and color.
Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, and chipotle chili powder
Tortillas: I used 6” tortillas. I had to use smaller tortillas than what is traditionally used for flaunts so they would fit in the air fryer.
Flautas are traditionally made with flour tortillas, but you can use corn tortillas to make these into taquitos.
Since the corn tortillas are smaller, you will use less filling and end up with more taquitos. Heat the corn tortillas before rolling them to prevent any from breaking.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Flautas
1. Mix Ingredients: Mix ingredients in a bowl.
2. Roll Flautas: Place 1/12 of the filling down the center of the tortilla and roll it up tightly with the seam side down.
3. Place in Air Fryer: Place flaunts in the air fryer, about 1 inch apart. Spray generously with oil. You may have to work in batches.
4. Cook: Cook for 4-7 minutes or until the tortilla starts to brown.
- Mexican rice or Spanish Rice
- Beans: pinto, refried, black, or drunken beans
- Salsa, Guacamole, or Sour Cream for dipping
If you want more suggestions, check out this article on 15 tasty sides to serve with taquitos!
Both Mexican dishes have the same fillings. Taquitos are usually made with smaller corn tortillas, and flautas are made with larger flour tortillas. Since we are cooking these chicken flautas in an air fryer, we have to use smaller flour tortillas.
👩🍳Tips & Tricks
Make sure you roll the chicken flautas tightly and place them in the air fryer seam side down in the air fryer. This will prevent any from unrolling in the air fryer.
Freeze Them for Later: Freeze the flautas in a large plastic bag for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat them, preheat the air fryer to 350F. Spray the Flauntas with oil and cook for 9-12 minutes.
The Best Air Fryer Chicken Flautas
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 8 oz canned diced green chilies
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder optional- will add a little spice
- 12 flour tortillas fajita sized 6”
- oil spray
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl
- Place 1/12 of the mixture down the center of a tortilla and roll it up tightly.
- Place flaunts in the air fryer, about 1 inch apart, and spray generously with oil. You may have to work in batches.
- Cook for 4-7 minutes, or until the tortilla starts to brown.