These Air Fryer Chicken Flautas have chicken, bell peppers, green chilies, and cheese rolled in a crispy tortilla. They are so easy to make and only take 30 minutes.
I love making these in the air fryer. The flour tortilla crisps up nicely, and the monterey jack cheese and sour cream melt together to make a cheesy filling.
Why you’ll love these chicken flautas
- Easy to Make: These are super easy to make and take less than 30 minutes! You can even use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Healthier Comfort Food: The air fryer makes these flautas so crunchy and a little healthier.
- Freeze Them for Later: This recipe makes 12 chicken flautas. If that’s too many for you, freeze them in a large plastic bag and have them whenever.
- Chicken: Quickly cook up a few chicken cutlets in a skillet, use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Monterey Jack Cheese: Makes the air fryer flautas filling creamy and stick together.
- Bell Pepper: Adds veggies to the mix and gives them some color.
- Canned Diced Green Chilies: Using canned green chilies is so easy.
- Sour Cream: This makes the filling creamy and adds flavor.
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, and chipotle chili powder
- Flour Tortillas: I used 6” tortillas. I had to use smaller tortillas than what is traditionally used for flaunts so they would fit in the air fryer.
🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Flautas
1. Mix Ingredients: Mix ingredients in a bowl.
2. Roll Flautas: Place 1/12 of the filling down the center of the tortilla and roll it up tightly with the seam side down.
3. Place in Air Fryer: Place flaunts in the air fryer, about 1 inch apart. Spray generously with oil. You may have to work in batches.
4. Cook: Cook for 4-7 minutes, or until the tortilla starts to brown.
- Cheese: Swap out Monterey Jack cheese for cheddar cheese. Use pepper jack cheese for a little more spice.
- Tortillas: Flautas are traditionally made with flour tortillas, but you can use corn tortillas to make these into taquitos. Since the corn tortillas are smaller, you will use less filling and end up with more taquitos. Heat the corn tortillas before rolling them to prevent any from braking.
- Mexican rice or Spanish Rice
- Beans: pinto, refried, black, or drunken beans
- Salsa, Guacamole, or Sour Cream for dipping
Both Mexican dishes have the same fillings. Taquitos are usually made with smaller corn tortillas, and flautas are made with larger flour tortillas. Since we are cooking these chicken flautas in an air fryer, we have to use smaller flour tortillas.
👩🍳Tips & Tricks
Make sure you roll the chicken flautas tightly and place them in the air fryer seam side down in the air fryer. This will prevent any from unrolling in the air fryer.
Freeze Them for Later: Freeze the flautas in a large plastic bag for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat them, preheat the air fryer to 350F. Spray the Flauntas with oil and cook for 9-12 minutes.
Air Fryer Chicken Flautas
- 2 cups chicken
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 8 oz canned diced green chilies
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder optional- will add a little spice
- 12 flour tortillas fajita sized 6”
- oil cooking spray
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl
- Place 1/12 of the mixture down the center of a tortilla and roll it up tightly.
- Place flaunts in the air fryer, about 1 inch apart, and spray generously with oil. You may have to work in batches.
- Cook for 4-7 minutes, or until the tortilla starts to brown.
Want more air fryer recipes?
Marinated Chicken in Airy Fryer
Air Fryer Boneless BBQ Chicken thighs
I really liked these