These Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos are so easy to make. The pork is cooked in a slow cooker then broiled in the oven, so the edges get crispy with the middle stays juicy and flavorful. Pile the carnitas high on your tortilla and add your favorite pork taco toppings.
I love how simple and easy this taco recipe is. The pork cooks in a crockpot with onion, jalapenos, garlic, orange juice, and spices. The meat comes out so tender and full of flavor. If you want to make the meat crispy ( which you don’t have to, it’s delicious without this step), then you can broil it in the oven for 5- 10 minutes until it gets those dark crispy bits.
This recipe calls for orange juice to be added to the crockpot. I like using store bought orange juice (like Simply Orange) for this recipe to make things that much easier. Fresh orange juice from oranges will taste better. But oranges aren’t quite in season yet, so I’m taking simplicity’s side on this one.
I’ve made the carnitas with and without the jalapeno seeds. The seeds make the carnitas pretty spice, but I think the tortillas and cheese help mellow out the heat. If you want your dinner to be on the spicier side, include the jalapeno seeds. If you want a more mellow taco, do not include the seeds.
Pulled Pork Taco Toppings
These are a few of my favorite toppings for pork tacos:
- Smashed Avacado
- Pickled Onions
- Cheese – Oaxaca, Cotija are more traditional, but I also like feta cheese and even goat cheese
- Pico de Gallo
OTHER CARNITAS RECIPIES
I went a little crazy with the carnitas and made 3 other recipes featuring the slow cooker pork. If you happened to buy too much pork and don’t know what to do with it, or are in the carnitas mood, check out the other recipes below.
I hope you love this Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos Recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 1–1 1/4 lb lean boneless pork loin roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded, chopped*
- 1/3 cup orange juice (you can juice 2-3 oranges or use orange juice)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, salt, AND pepper
- 8–10 Tortillas
- Toppings – avocado, pickled onions, salsa, lime, cheese, pico de gallo
- Add the first 10 ingredients together, pork loin to pepper, in a slow cooker, and give everything a stir to combine. Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. The pork is done once it shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove pork from the slow cooker and shred with a fork. Add the meat back into the slow cooker and stir.
- Spray a large baking sheet with oil. Move the oven rack to the place second from the top. Turn the broiler on. Scoop out meat with a slotted spoon. Spread the beef out on the pan. Drizzle with a little more of the liquid from the slow cooker.
- Place the pan in the oven. Broil for 5-10 minutes, or until the meat gets crispy and the tips of the pork start to darken.
- Fill your tacos with meat and top with desired taco toppings.
Included the jalapeno seeds for a medium spice level
- Serving Size: 1 Taco
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: slow cooker, carnitas, tacos, slow cooker carnitas tacos, carnitas tacos