I love this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup. It's simple, flavorful, and everyone can customize their soup toppings!
The slow cooker is a fantastic kitchen appliance. In the winter, I love preparing soup in my crockpot before work, and then when I get home/ get done working from home, I have hot soup ready for me! One of the tricks for making this soup so flavorful while keeping it simple is the salas. It adds a depth of flavor and a little spice for not much work.
- Chicken Broth - The base of this soup
- Tomato Sauce - Adds flavor to the soup
- Black Beans- Drain the can and rinse the beans off before adding them to the slow cooker. While in the can, the beans liquid turns dark, and while it's harmless, it can change the color of the soup to a murky color.
- Chunky Salsa- Any chunky salsa will do. I've used Pace and 365's Thick and Chunky Salsa. Both are delicious.
- Frozen Corn- Both frozen and canned corn works. Frozen corn tastes better and holds its nutrients better.
- Garlic Cloves- I love garlic 🙂
- Cumin- Classic flavor for Mexican and TexMex food
- Dried Oregano - Another classic flavor
- Chicken Breasts - Protein
- Cilantro- I love cilantro and use as much as I can when I can, but it's not 100% necessary for this soup if you want to skip it. You'll want to add the cilantro at the end to preserve the cilantro flavor. If it were cooking in the slow cooker for hours, it would lose its flavor.
- Sour Cream
- Cheese - Mexican Blend, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Hot Sauce
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Add sour cream to the soup after it's been reheated and you are ready to eat it. Don't microwave sour cream. It could curdle.
I hope you love this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Have fun!Print
Chicken Taco Soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can black beans, drain can and rinse beans
- 2 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 2 lb skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Mexican Cheese
- Crushed Tortilla chips (optional)
- Scallions (optional)
- Add the first 8 ingredients into a slow cooker, chicken broth through chicken breast. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Once the chicken has cooked, remove, and shred it with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, and salt to taste. Turn the temperature down to low until ready to serve.
- When you are ready to serve, stir in the cilantro. Serve in bowls and top with cheese, sour cream, and any other toppings you would like.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 450