Shake and Bake Chicken in the Air Fryer is an easy weeknight meal that won't disappoint. It takes about 25 minutes to make. Pair it with veggies, mac & cheese, or a simple salad.
It's no secret that whenever you cook chicken in an air fryer, it will come out juicy every time. And if you coat that chicken in breadcrumbs before cooking it, you get a crispy piece of chicken the whole family will love.
Why you should make this for dinner tonight
- it takes about 25 minutes to make
- add a few simple sides for a super easy dinner
- relatively healthy dinner option
Shake 'N Bake Coating Mix: You can buy the mix at the store or make your own. There is a recipe for homemade Shake n' Bake in the recipe card below! I prefer the homemade version, but it's hard to beat the ease of using the pre-made mix.
Thinly Sliced Chicken Breasts Cutlets: You can find these in the grocery store next to the chicken breast.
Olive Oil Spray: Spray your chicken with a little olive oil before cooking to help it get a little crispier.
🔪 How to Make Shake n' Bake Chicken in an Air Fryer
Prepare the Mix: If you are making the homemade mix add all of the ingredients in a freezer-size plastic bag and give it a shake. If you use the pre-made mix, add that to a freezer-sized bag.
Coat Chicken: Add chicken breasts one at a time to the bag and shake until they are well coated. Set them on a plate until you are ready to cook them. Discard any leftover coating.
Cook: Preheat the air fryer to 375F. Place chicken in your air fryer basket. Do not overlap the pieces. You will probably have to cook them in batches. Spray the chicken with olive oil, then cook for 7-9 minutes, flipping halfway through. Make sure the chicken reaches 165F.
Rest: Let the chicken sit for 3 minutes before cutting into it. If you cut into it too soon, the juice from the chicken will make the breading soggy.
Shake n' Bake mix: Along with the original formula, Shake' n Bake also has other flavors like parmesan, ranch n' herb, buffalo, and extra crispy
Homemade Mix: I included a recipes for homemade shake n' bake if you want to go that route. It will only take a few extra minutes and a few more ingredients. I think it's worth it 🙂
🥡 How to Store
Let the chicken cool completely, then store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To reheat, preheat the air fryer to 375F and cook the chicken in the air fryer till it's warm.
- mac and cheese
- roasted potatoes
Yes! It's great in the air fryer. The chicken cooks faster and comes out crispier.
Moisture is the enemy of crispiness. Don't cut into the chicken too soon; let it rest on a cooling rack before serving it. The heat from the chicken can cause steam and make the breading soggy. A cooling rack will help the steam escape.
👩🍳Tips & Tricks
Let the chicken cool before cutting. If you cut too soon, the juice from the chicken will make the breading soggy.
- 1 packet Shake N Bake coating mix OR Homemade Shake and Bake Mix (recipe below)
- 1 - 1.5 lb. thinly sliced chicken breasts cutlets ( these are cut much thinner than chicken breast and can be found in the grocery store next to the chicken breast)
- olive oil spray
- Freezer-sized plastic bag
Homemade Shake and Bake Mix (optional)
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 375F
- If you are making the homemade shake and bake add all of the Homemade Shake and Bake ingredients in a freezer-size plastic bag and give it a shake to mix all the ingredients. If you use the premade mix, add that to a freezer-sized bag.
- Add chicken breasts one at a time and shake until they are well coated. Set them on a plate until you are ready to cook them. Discard any leftover coating.
- Place chicken in an air fryer basket. Do not overlap the pieces; you will probably have to cook them in batches. Spray the chicken with oil, then cook for 7-9 minutes, flipping halfway through. Make sure the chicken reaches 165F. Let the chicken sit for 3 minutes before cutting into it.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Chicken Cutlets
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 27.7g