Inspired by Taco Bell, this copycat Cheesy Bean and Rice Burrito is easy to make, cheap, and so much better than the original. The creamy jalapeno sauce takes this humble burrito to the next level.
If you're looking for another Taco Bell copycat recipe, check out these Spicy Potato Soft Tacos! They are easy to make and so good!
Why you will be craving these burritos
- easy to make
- the creamy jalapeno sauce is AMAZING
- the mixture of refried beans, Spanish rice, and melted cheese makes these a go-to comfort food
9-inch Flour Tortillas: I used Mission Super Soft Flour Tortillas, the soft taco-sized ones
Refried Beans: One can of refried beans is the perfect amount
If you have leftover refried beans, I have a list of 21 ways you can use up your leftover refried beans.
Spanish Rice: You can make your own from scratch, but I used a box of New East's Spanish rice which makes about 3 cups
Mexican Cheese Blend: The cheese gets so melty and blends all the ingredients
Creamy Jalapeno sauce: This sauce makes the burrito so good. It's worth the extra 5 minutes it will take you to make it. You can omit the chopped jalapenos and pickling juice if you want. It does make the sauce taste better, but it's not necessary.
🔪 How to Make These burritos
Make the creamy jalapeno sauce: mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl.
Make Burrito: Lay a tortilla flat spread ¼ cup of refried beans, ⅓ cup of Spanish rice, ¼ cup of Mexican cheese, and ½ tablespoon of jalapeno sauce* down the middle. Roll into a burrito.
Fold: If you're still trying to figure out how to roll the perfect burrito, this youtube tutorial may help
Toast: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add burrito seam side down, toasting on both sides till brown.
*I preferred how my burrito tasted with ½ of a tablespoon of sauce, but there is plenty of sauce if you want to add more or dip it for later.
Other Cheese: You can use Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or Mild Cheddar. You want the cheese to be mild and melt easily.
Other Rice Flavors: cilantro lime or brown rice
🥡 How to Store
If you don't think all 8 burritos will be eaten right away, then only make the amount you think you will need. Store all leftover ingredients in the fridge for up to 4 days and assemble the burritos as needed.
Since the leftover ingredients will be cold, microwave your burrito for 30 seconds, then toast it in a skillet.
- Mexican sweet corn
- Chips with Salsa or Guacamole
- Avocado Tomato Salad
Refried beans, Spanish rice, Mexican cheese blend, and creamy jalapeno sauce
👩🍳Tips & Tricks
Taco bell also sells its jalapeno sauce in grocery stores (they call it Creamy Chipotle Sauce).
You can make the Spanish rice from scratch, or use a boxed version, as I did.
Cheesy Bean and Rice Burrito
Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos diced optional
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno juice optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder or regular chili powder
Cheesy Bean and Rice Burrito
- 8 9-inch flour tortillas
- 1 16-oz can of refried beans
- 2 ⅔ cups Spanish rice I used a box of New East’s Spanish rice which makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- In a small bowl, mix together the creamy jalapeno sauce ingredients.
- Lay a tortilla flat, spread ¼ cup of refried beans, ⅓ cup of Spanish rice, ¼ cup of Mexican cheese, and ½ tablespoon* of jalapeno sauce down the middle. Roll into a burrito.
- Fold the burrito.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add burrito seam side down. Toast on both sides till brown.
Want more easy dinner recipes?
- Air Fryer Chicken Flautas
- Sheet Pan Firecracker Salmon
- Stovetop Beef Stew Without Wine
- Rigatoni Arrabbiata