Creamy Pasta with Peas has everything you are looking for – a light and creamy sauce, a bright pop of lemon, cool mint, and plenty of green peas.
The mint and lemon in this green pea pasta make it perfect for spring. The dish is light and bright. It's also a great way to use up the peas sitting in your freezer.
This was inspired by cacio e pepe. The butter, pecorino romano, and pasta water make a creamy sauce. Then, add your peas, lemon juice, and mint to brighten up the pasta and make it feel like spring.
It has everything you want:
- A pasta recipe with 7 ingredients that only takes 30 minutes to make
- Creamy sauce made from butter and cheese
- Bright and fresh flavors: peas, lemon, and mint
What you need to make Green Pea Pasta
- Frozen Peas: Use up that bag of peas that's been sitting in your freezer for the past 6 months.
- Pasta: I used orecchiette, any short pasta will do.
- Mint Leaves: There really is no substitute for fresh mint leaves. If you can't find them, the pasta is still good without them.
- Lemon Juice: Add a bright hint of citrus that makes this pasta perfect for spring. The recipe has 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice, but sometimes I add more.
- Butter: It makes this sauce so creamy.
- Pecorino Romano: I've also tried parmesan for this recipe, and you can use it, but the flavor and consistency of the pecorino romano is better.
- Black Pepper: You don't want to skip the pepper.
How Pasta with Peas is made
1) Cook pasta as directed on the packaging. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
2) Add the butter, ¼ cup of the pasta water, and cheese.
3) Mix until a creamy sauce has formed.
4) Mix the peas (warmed up in the microwave), mint, and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
How to Store your Pea Pasta
Store pasta in an air-tight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Do you have questions?
To reheat, add a splash of water to the pasta. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave in 30 seconds intervals until the pasta is warm.
Tips for Success
If the sauce seems a little dry, add in more pasta water, one tablespoon at a time until you get the right consistency.
I hope you love this Green Pea Pasta recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!
Pasta with Peas
- ¾ lb. orecchiette pasta or any short pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup mint leaves chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely grated pecorino romano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta as directed on packaging.
- Put frozen peas in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until they are warm.
- Once the pasta is done carefully scoop out ½ cup of pasta water. Drain the past and return it to the pot.
- Turn heat to low. Add in the butter, ¼ cup of pasta water, and cheese. Mix until a creamy sauce is formed. Then add in the peas, mint and lemon juice. If the sauce is too dry add in more pasta water.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!