Roasted Asparagus & Brussel Sprouts are tossed in olive oil, garlic, pecorino romano, and lemon zest. These savory roasted veggies pair well with marinated chicken or grilled steak.
This is a tasty vegetable side dish with only 6 ingredients. Pair it with Chicken Sausage or BBQ Chicken Thighs for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Brussels sprouts and asparagus belong together. The two of them, paired with garlic, pecorino romano, and lemon zest, make the best side for any meal.
Also, this is an easy side dish. Chop up the veggies, toss them in olive oil, then garnish them once they have baked to perfection. So simple and so good!
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Garlic: You can use ¾ teaspoon of garlic powder in place of 3 minced garlic cloves.
Pecorino Romano: Parmesan is a good alternative if you can't find pecorino romano. You can also freeze hard cheese like pecorino romano and parmesan for up to 2 months. Buy it finely grated so you don't have to thaw it when you are ready to use it.
Lemon Zest: Optional, gives the vegetables a light lemon flavor.
Complete ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Roasted Asparagus & Brussel Sprouts
1. Cut: Chop brussel sprouts and asparagus.
2. Toss: Add them to a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and minced garlic. Toss with your hands until the vegetables are well coated.
3. Bake: Spread into an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. Garnish: Top with cheese and lemon zest.
Cut smaller brussel sprouts in half and the larger sprouts into fourths. You want the Brussels sprouts to all be about the same size.
🔪 How to cut Asparagus
Asparagus ends are tough. You'll want to cut those off.
- Asparagus will naturally bend at the spot that should be removed. Pick up one spear. Bend it and snap off the tough part.
- Use that spear as a guide for the other spears.
🥗 What to eat with Asparagus & Brussel Sprouts
You know asparagus is done when they are bright green and have lightly charged tips.
You know Brussels sprouts are done when they are fork tender and have started to brown.
Easy Roasted Asparagus & Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts* halved, cut larger brussel sprouts in quarters
- 1 pound asparagus tough parts cut off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons pecorino romano
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Zest optional
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add Brussels sprouts and asparagus to the sheet pan. Drizzle olive oil, salt, and minced garlic on top. Toss with your hands until the vegetables are well coated. Spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the vegetables start to brown.
- Take out of the oven and top with pecorino romano and lemon zest.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking points to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
- See more guidelines at USDA.gov
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!