This Light Fettuccine Alfredo is creamy, cheesy, and so good. The best part is it only takes 15 minutes to make from scratch. Pair this lightened-up sauce with pasta and your choice of shrimp or grilled chicken for an easy and healthy weeknight dinner.
If you’ve ever ordered Fettuccini Alfredo at restaurants you know just how creamy and rich it is. I made the mistake of looking at the nutrition one time… oh man. I thought “Well, that’s why it tastes so good,” restaurants add heaps of butter, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese to make alfredo sauce.
This lighter version has about half the butter and replaces a lot of the heavy cream with low-fat milk. All the flavor is still there but with half the calories.
Do you have questions?
I reduced the amount of butter by half and swapped out a lot of the heavy cream for milk. All of the flavor is still there, but you won’t feel so full after.
There is enough sauce to generously cover about ¾ pounds of dry pasta ( ¾ of a 16oz box of pasta).
Watch how it’s made…
I hope you love this Light Fettuccine Alfredo recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
This is a lighter version of the alfredo sauce you love to order at restaurants. Serve with pasta and grilled chicken for a comforting weeknight dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pounds fettuccine, or linguine, or other long pasta, cooked as directed
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Cook pasta as directed.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and cook till the roux is a light golden color.
- Whisk in milk and heavy cream till the sauce is smooth. Continue to whisk for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn the heat to low. Mix in parmesan, salt, and pepper. If the sauce is too thick for you, add one teaspoon of milk until you get your desired consistency.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss till the pasta is well coated. Top with parsley and more pepper. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 493
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 491.2 mg
- Fat: 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.4 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 46.9 mg
Keywords: Light Fettuccine Alfredo, Alfredo Sauce, Pasta