This BBQ Brisket Sandwich is an easy recipe perfect for a busy weeknight. You cook the BBQ Brisket in the slow cooker, then make it into a sandwich your family will love. I give you cooking tips and suggestions for toppings and sides.
Growing up in Texas, BBQ beef brisket was the best thing you could have for dinner. Whenever we had leftovers (which wasn't often), I would make a brisket sandwich drenched in BBQ sauce for lunch.
My favorite toppings are pickles, red onions, and more BBQ sauce.
I like to pair this tender brisket sandwich with traditional barbecue sides, like potato salad and green beans, for a complete meal.
For this recipe, I used my homemade barbecue sauce with chipotle peppers. It's a pretty simple recipe. If you haven't made homemade barbecue sauce before, I highly suggest it! It's worth the effort, and you can customize it to make it as sweet or spic as you like.
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Brisket Flat: Brisket flats are large and shaped like a rectangle. If you can't find them in your grocery store, ask the butcher for a 2 ½ pound brisket flat.
BBQ Sauce: Use your favorite BBQ Sauce, or make a homemade sauce.
Burger Buns: Use your favorite burger buns or thick slices of white bread (just like the BBQ places do).
Smokey BBQ Dry Rub: This rub has brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. It gives the brisket tons of flavor.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Pulled Brisket Beef Sandwiches
1. Season Brisket: Mix spice for smokey BBQ rub together, then rub all over brisket.
2. Add Ingredients to Crock Pot: Pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce into the Crock Pot, then add the brisket.
3. Cook: Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Remove from slow cooker and let the meat rest. Either shred the meat or slice it thinly.
4. Assemble: Add brisket and your favorite toppings to a warm bun. Top off with more BBQ sauce.
If you can't find a brisket under 3 pounds, ask your butcher if they have any brisket in the back that you can have cut to two and a half pounds.
Toppings for BBQ Brisket Sandwiches
- Dill Pickles
- Red Onions
- Cole Slaw
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Cheddar Cheese
- Potato Salad
- Potato Chips
- Green Beans
- Baked Beans
🧊 How to Store Leftovers
Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
❓ Recipe Questions
Is brisket expensive?
Meat prices have risen over the past few years, but brisket is still considered a more affordable cut of beef.
If I can't find brisket or it's too expensive, what can I use?
Chuck roast, also called poor man's brisket, is a good alternative if you can't find brisket. The cooking time will stay the same. However, because the cut of meat is fattier and more tender than brisket, you won't be able to slice it. You'll have to shred it.
How much brisket does this recipe make?
This recipe will give you enough meat for six sandwiches.
More Brisket Recipes
- 1 ½ cups your favorite bbq sauce
- Smokey BBQ Spice Rub recipe below
- 2 ½ lb Beef Brisket
- 6 burger buns
- Toppings: pickles, onions, slaw, more bbq sauce
Smokey BBQ Dry Rub
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce into your slow cooker.
- Mix together the spices for the Smokey BBQ Rub. Rub the seasoning all over the brisket. Add the brisket to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the brisket from slow cooker and let the meat rest for 10 minutes. Either shred the meat or slice it thinly.
- Assemble your sandich wiht all of your favorite toppings.