Slumgullion, or American Goulash, is an easy and cheap meal you can cook all in one pot. It has ground beef, pasta, cheese, and thick tomato sauce.
You can call this Slumgullion, American Goulash, or American Chop Suey. They are all the same, an easy one-pot dish with ground beef, macaroni, a thick tomato sauce, and cheese (if you want).
Why you need to make Slumgullion for dinner
- one pot meal
- it’s meaty, cheesy, and noodly
- comfort food
Olive Oil: Helps to cook the onion and bell pepper
Onion & Bell Pepper: adds to the flavor and texture
Lean Ground Beef: use lean, so you don’t have to drain excess grease
Garlic: adds flavor
Beef Broth: helps to cook the pasta
Tomato Sauce & Petite Diced Tomatoes: the combination of the two gives the pasta a great creamy, chunky sauce
Macaroni Noodles: macaroni is traditionally used in Slumgullion, but you can use any short pasta you have on hand. You’ll want to use about 8oz and need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Worcestershire Sauce: adds umami to the dish
Italian Seasoning & Paprika: Italian seasoning is a traditional flavor for American goulash (Slumgullion), and paprika is traditional for Hungarian goulash
Cheddar Cheese: I went a little light with 1 cup of the cheese; you can add ¼ to ½ cup more if you like your Slumgullion cheesy; you can also leave it out entirely
Salt & Pepper: to taste
🔪 How to Make Slumgullion
1. Cook Beef and Veggies: Add olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and ground beef. Cook until the beef is no longer pink. Add in garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
2. Cook Pasta: Pour the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, and uncooked macaroni noodles. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally until the pasta is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
3. Add Cheese: Once pasta is done, stir in the cheddar cheese.
4. Salt and Pepper: Salt and Pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley if you would like.
🥡 How to Store
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Slumgullion is another name for American goulash. The American version is similar to the original Hungarian version, but the American version is less like a stew and more like a quick one-pot meal.
Lean ground beef (about 90%) is the easiest meat to use. You won't have to drain the excess fat, which can be difficult if you are using a large pot.
👩🍳Tips & Tricks
Make sure to stir the pasta every 3-5 minutes while it's cooking to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
If the Slumgullion starts to look a bit dry, add ¼ cup of beef broth or water to the pot until you're satisfied with the consistency. In the end, the consistency should be somewhere in between a thick and a thin sauce. The cheese will also help to thicken up the sauce.
Slumgullion (American Goulash)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 lb. ground beef 90%lean
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 15- oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 15- oz can of petite diced tomatoes don’t drain
- 1 ½ cup macaroni noodles uncooked
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a large pot, or large skillet, over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, bell pepper, and ground beef. Cook until the beef is no longer pink. Add in garlic and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Pour beef broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, uncooked macaroni noodles, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to the bottom. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Once pasta is done, stir in the cheddar cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
Want more one-pot meals?
- Pizza Beans (Veggie Lovers)
- Stovetop Beef Stew without Wine
- Cheesy Sausage Veggies and Rice
- One Pot Pizza Pasta