This is a must-try if you're looking for a 35-minute one-pan meal. Walking Taco Bake has it all: hearty chili, melted cheese, crunchy corn chips, and all your favorite taco toppings.
If you’re on the hunt for an easy dinner, you’ve gotta give this a try.
This childhood classic combines crunchy Fritos, savory ground beef chili, gooey cheese, and all of your favorite taco toppings for a flavor explosion that will leave your taste buds wanting more. 😋👌
So why not grab a bag of Fritos and give this delicious dinner a try? Your whole family will thank you!
🧀 Ingredients & Substitutions
Ground Beef: I used lean ground beef, 90/10, so that I wouldn’t have to drain fat from the cast iron skillet, which would be hard.
Kidney Beans: I used red kidney beans, you can use whatever type you want: black beans, dark red beans, chili beans, etc.
Fritos: You can use any corn chip like Fritos or Doritos.
Taco Toppings: I used green onions, cilantro, tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, and sour cream on mine. Other options could be pickled onions, salsa, pico de gallo, corn salsa, and guacamole.
Full ingredient list with quantities in the recipe card below
🔪 How to Make Walking Taco Bake
Brown Meat: Add meat and diced onions to a large cast iron skillet. Cook until the meat has browned, about 8 minutes.
Mix in: Turn off the burner, and mix in beans, tomato sauce, Rotel, and taco seasoning. Top with cheese and Fritos.
Bake: Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the chili is bubbling.
Top: Take out of the oven and top with your favorite taco toppings.
Don’t skimp on the toppings. They brighten the casserole up and make it a million times better. I like using green onions, cilantro, pickled jalapenos, diced tomatoes, and sour cream.
- Easy Jiffy Jalapeno Muffins
- Simple garden salad
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
They are exactly the same thing, some parts of the country call it Frito pie, some a walking taco, and others taco in a bag.
It’s a walking taco/ Frito pie in casserole form. It’s made all in one pan, so it’s easy to make, and clean-up is minimal.
Walking Taco Bake
- 1 lb ground beef 90/10 use lean meat so you don’t have to drain fat
- 1 sweet or yellow onion diced
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans drained
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 10-oz can Rotel or diced tomatoes with green chilies drained
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 8-oz bag shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ bag Fritos
- Taco toppings: green onions, cilantro, tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add meat and diced onions to a large cast iron skillet*, or oven-proof skillet. Cook until the meat has browned, about 8 minutes.
- Turn off the burner, and mix in beans, tomato sauce, Rotel, and taco seasoning. Top with cheese and Fritos.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the chili is bubbling.
- Take out of the oven and top with your favorite taco toppings.
Want more one-pan recipes?
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
- See more guidelines at USDA.gov
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!