These Easy Weeknight Meatball Subs are the ultimate comfort food scaled down to a balanced proportion sized. We nestle tender homemade meatballs in a roll, then cover them in marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Then toast them in the oven till the bun got crispy and the cheese melted.
I love these meatball subs. They are perfect for a weeknight meal. If you pair your sub with a salad, you have a very balanced meal that will fill you up, satisfy all your cravings for a toasty, meaty, cheesy meatball sub, but not make you feel overstuffed. What more could you want?
I was originally planning on making this recipe with ground turkey instead of ground beef. However, I learned something fun this weekend. Ground turkey isn’t necessarily healthier than ground beef… you may be surprised, or you may be like, “well no duh, Megan, it’s the percentage of fat that makes the meat “heathier,” not the animal it comes from.”
So since 93% ground beef and 93% ground turkey are basically the same (but beef is so much better on a meatball sub), I changed up the recipe for ground beef. If you want to know more about this ground beef, ground turkey revelation, check this article out by Greatlist.
EASY WEEKNIGHT MEATBALL SUB VIDEO:
I hope you love these Easy Weeknight Meatball Subs! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 1 pound ground beef, 93% lean
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella
- 6 hot dog buns
- 1.5 cup marinara sauce
- Mix the first 7 ingredients (ground beef through salt) in a large bowl. Then roll the meat into 24 meatballs, about 1 ½ tablespoons each.
- Add oil to large skillet on medium-high heat. Once the oil starts to shimmer, add in meatballs and sauté for a 3-5 minutes. Turn the meatballs every so often to brown the outside.
- Turn the heat to low and add marinara sauce to the skillet. Once the sauce starts to simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, place the buns on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler. Add 4 meatballs to each roll. Top with marinara sauce and ¼ cup of mozzarella. Set baking sheet under the broiler and allow to cook until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately with a salad or chips.
If you don't want to make all 6 subs at once, you can store the meatballs and sauce in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you are ready to make the subs warm up the meatballs in the microwave for 30 seconds, follow steps 4-6.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Sub
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 31g