Classic tuna melt with a spicy kick. This Spicy Tuna Melt is made with tuna, jalapenos, mayo, spices, and a lot of cheddar cheese. All of this smushed between toasted bread makes for the best sandwich!
I love tuna melts for a quick meal. I always have canned tuna, bread, and cheese on hand. It's is perfect for weeknights where I don't feel like making anything fussy or dirtying too many dishes.
Not all canned tuna is the same. I try to get Albacore tuna that is line or pole caught since the tuna has less mercury and is caught using safe marine life practices. You can read more about canned tuna from this Epicurious article
I used pickled jalapenos because they are much milder than fresh jalapenos and bring a tanginess that you need in a tuna melt. You can use fresh jalapenos, but they will be much stronger. Start with one chopped jalapeno, then taste the tuna mixture and adjust from there. You will also need to substitute white vinegar for the jalapeno pickling juice.
Pickled jalapeno is not nearly as spicy as fresh jalapenos, so a lot of the heat from this melt comes from the red pepper flakes. Add more or less depending on your spice tolerance.
CONSIDER THESE OTHER TEX MEX RECIPIES:
I hope you love this Spicy Tuna Melt recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Have fun!Print
- 2 5oz-can tuna in water, drained
- ½ cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- 2 tsp jalapeno pickling juice
- ½ - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (see notes)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup mayo + 2 tbs for spreading on bread
- Salt, to taste
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- Ketchup or Spicy Ketchup for dipping
- Combine the first 6 ingredients, tuna through garlic powder, and ⅓ cup of mayo. Then salt to taste. Add more red pepper flakes till you get your desired heat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread one teaspoon of mayo on one side of the bread. Place mayo side down on the skillet—top with a slice of cheddar cheese, then tuna, and then another slice of cheddar cheese. Spread mayo on another slice of bread, and add on top of the cheese, mayo side up. Repeat to make the 3 other sandwiches.
- Cook until the bread starts to brown, carefully flip, and cook the other side till brown.
- Serve immediately with ketchup or spicy ketchup if you can find it!
- If you use fresh instead of pickled jalapenos substitute white vinegar for the jalapeno pickling juice
- A lot of the heat from this melt comes from the red pepper flakes. Add more or less depending on your spice tolerance.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes