This 30 Minute Balsamic Onion Burger is a great twist on a classic burger. The onions on this burger are addictive. You caramelize the onions in butter until golden, then they are coated in a sweet and savory balsamic glaze. Paired with provolone, arugula, and mayo, this is a burger you’ll love.
I made the recipe is pretty simple, it has 9 ingredients, and only takes 30 minutes to make. I like to pair it with chips for a quick and easy dinner.
How to make Balsamic Caramelized Onions
- Slice your onions so they are about ½“ thick.
- Melt butter in a large skillet for medium heat and add in your onions.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. If they start to burn, lower the heat.
- Once the onions are soft and golden add in balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook until the sauce has reduced to a thick syrup.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside while you make the burger. You can make the onions up to 4 days in advance
Once you have the onions out of the way the burger is pretty easy to make. The patty itself is just seasoned with salt and pepper. I also wanted to keep the topping simple to let the onions shine. Peppery Arugula, mild provolone, and mayo are the perfect pairing for this sweet and savory burger.
Do you have questions?
Onions are naturally sweet and will caramelize when you cook them over low heat for an extended period, usually about 45 minutes. To shorten the cooking time on the onions and to balance out the balsamic vinegar I added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to the onions.
You can make your caramelized onion up to 4 days ahead of time and store them in the fridge.
I hope you love this Balsamic Onion Burger recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!
Balsamic Onion Burger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion sliced ( or 2 small)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pound ground beef lean 10%
- 4 slices Provolone
- 4 whole grain buns
- Salt and pepper
- Toppings: Arugula Mayo
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. If they start to burn, lower the heat.
- Once the onions are soft and golden, add in balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the sauce has reduced to a thick syrup, about 3 minutes. Transfer the onions to a bowl, and set aside while you make the burger
- Form 4 ½” patties with the ground beef. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Heat a clean skillet on medium heat. Add your patties and cover the pan. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until the meat has cooked all the way through. When there are 2 minutes left add cheese to the burgers.
- Place the patty on a toasted bun. Top with balsamic onions, arugula, and mayo.