Don't let busy mornings hold you back! These Frozen Breakfast Burritos are easy to make ahead of time for meal prep and easy to warm up in the morning. Ditch the bland breakfast! Bite into a cheesy, protein-packed burrito.
🥰 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick homemade breakfast you can warm up in 2 minutes!
- Full of protein (31g) to get you through your busy mornings.
- These are so easy to meal prep.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cheese: You can use Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, or Mozzarella cheese.
Protine: I love making these with chorizo pork sausage. It adds a ton of flavor and a little spice to the burritos. I've also made these with regular pork breakfast sausage, turkey sausage, and spicy breakfast sausage.
Flour Tortillas: Use 8" taco-sized burritos to make 8 medium burritos. I thought the burrito-sized tortillas were too large.
Vegetables: I made these with green onions and bell peppers. You can also use roasted potatoes, sauteed onions, sauteed spinach, or sauteed mushrooms.
Avoid adding vegetables that contain a lot of liquid, like tomatoes, to your burritos. They will cause your burrito to become soggy when thawed.
Also, avoid ingredients that you wouldn't want to eat warm, like avocados and sour cream. You can add those to your burrito after it's reheated.
How to Meal Prep Your Breakfast Burritos
Step 1: Mix eggs, green onions, 1 bell pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
Step 2: Cook chorizo in a large skillet. Drain the excess fat, then remove the chorizo.
Step 3: Add and scramble eggs to the same skillet. Once the eggs have set, remove the skillet from the heat.
Step 4: Add eggs, chorizo, and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese to a tortilla. Wrap it and cover it in foil. Place the burritos in a large freezer bag and place them in the freezer.
How to Store Make Ahead Burritos
Wrap your burritos in aluminum foil, drop them in a freezer bag, and place them inside the freezer.
Usually, it’s best to eat the frozen burritos within 3 months of making them.
Write down the reheating instructions on the freezer bag to help “future you” remember what to do.
How to reheat a breakfast burrito?
I tried out a few different methods for reheating a frozen burrito, but this is the easiest, quickest, and tastiest way.
Wrap your frozen burrito in a paper towel and microwave it for one minute, then flip it over and microwave it for 30-60 seconds until it’s no longer frozen.
To get it crispy, heat a skillet over medium heat. Toast each side of the burrito for 1-2 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown.
How to Prevent a Soggy Freezer Burrito
Avoid using ingredients that contain a lot of liquid, like tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream. They will cause your burrito to become soggy when you thaw it.
Take Your Burrito to The Next Level!
- Replace your breakfast sausage with chorizo to give it a spicy southwest flare.
- Add hot sauce or salsa to your burrito.
- Add avocado or sour cream (after it’s reheated).
Frozen Breakfast Burritos
- 10 large eggs
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 5 green onions sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound chorizo
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 8 8-inch taco sized flour tortillas
See it. Make it. Eat it!
How to make breakfast burritos:
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, diced bell pepper, sliced green onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add ground chorizo to a skillet over medium heat. Remove casing if needed. Cook until the chorizo has browned and cooked through. Transfer the chorizo to a plate, and drain any excess greese from the pan.
- Add the egg mixture to your skillet. Pull a rubber spatula across the bottom of the pan while the eggs cook. Once the eggs have set, remove the skillet from the heat.
- To make the burritos, add eggs, chorizo, and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese to a tortilla. Wrap it and cover it in foil. Place the burritos in a large freezer bag and place them in the freezer.
How to reheat a frozen breakfast burrito:
- Unwrap the frozen burrito from its foil and wrap it in a paper towel. Microwave it for two minute, then flip the burrito and microwave it for 30-60 seconds until it’s no longer frozen.
- Optional: For a crispy burrito, heat a skillet over medium heat. Toast each side of the burrito for 1-2 minutes or until the tortilla starts to brown.