This Chipotle Chicken Melt is on another level. Every bite is filled with smokey chipotle chicken and oozing with cheddar cheese. The onion and tomato add a nice pop of fresh acidic flavor. This melt is everything I could possibly want in a sandwich.
This southwest inspired chicken melt is hands down me and Adrian's favorite sandwich. All of the flavors work so well together! you get this smokey, spicy, cheesy, tangy sandwich that you won't want to put down.
The recipe involves making chicken verse using coked shredded chicken, but I think it's totally worth it. The chicken is easy to make and only takes 15 minutes. You can always make the chicken a day ahead if you know the next day will be super busy. The chicken is a little spicy on its own, but in the sandwich it's PERFECT! So don't worry. The powerful cheddar cheese, onion, and tomato perfectly balance out the spicy and smoky chipotle chicken.
When you are cooking the chicken, the spices might burn a little. That's fine. Just add a little more olive oil. The chicken itself isn't burning, and the spices won't give it a burnt taste. Think of it like blackened cajun food. As long as it's kept to a minimum, it is not a problem.
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN MELT VIDEO:
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR LUNCH RECIPES:
- Greek Chicken Pita with Yogurt Sauce
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich with Whipped Feta
- Meal Prep Enchiladas
I hope you love this southwest chicken melt recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!
Chipotle Chicken Melt
- 1 ½ teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin AND salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast cutlets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for brushing
- 8 slices of bread
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- tomato slices
- red onion sliced thin
To Make Chipotle Chicken:
- In a small bowl, mix together chipotle chili powder, cumin, salt, chili powder, and black pepper. Rub both sides of the chicken breast cutlets with the spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil starts to shimmer, add the chicken breast. Do not overcrowd the pan. Work in batches if needed. Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Let the chicken cool for a few minutes and slice into ½-1/4 inch strips.
To Assemble the Sandwich:
- Brush olive oil on one side of the bread and spread mayo (½ tbsp) on the other side. Take four slices of bread and add cheddar cheese (2 tbsp), chicken, tomatoes, and onion to the side with mayo. Top it off with more cheddar cheese. Now place a slice of bread on top (Mayo side down, olive oil side up).
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low and add the sandwiches to the skillet. Cook for 4-7 minutes or until the bread starts to toast. Then flip and cook another side. Serve immediately.