Need a pizza crust ASAP? This recipe will get you a fluffy pizza crust with crispy edges in 25 minutes. Make a double batch and freeze half for an easy homemade pizza later in the month.
This quick pizza dough recipe is super easy to mix together and has a short rising time (only 15 minutes). It has great flavor and texture. You only need 6 ingredients and 25 minutes to make it!
I used simple ingredients in this recipe, most of which you already have. No fancy flours or cornmeal here.
All-Purpose Flour- Regula all-purpose works great here. You can substitute half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour, but I wouldn't advise 100% whole wheat.
Sugar- Sugar will help the yeast develop quicker. One tablespoon of sugar will not make the dough sweet.
Instant Yeast- Instant yeast needs less time to rise than active dry yeast, and you can mix instant yeast directly into the flour.
Salt- Helps bring out the crust flavor.
Olive Oil- Oil helps make a crispier, not soggy, crust. If you don't have olive oil, you can use canola oil, avocado oil, or vegetable oil in its place.
Warm Water- Warm water from your faucet works. If you want a temperature, shoot for 110-115F.
How to Make Quick Pizza Dough
Step 1: Mix together flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Add olive oil and water to the bowl. Mix until a shaggy ball forms.
Step 2: Mix and knead the dough. Instruction for kneading with a stand mixer and by hand are in the recipe card below.
Step 3: Cover the dough with your bowl or a towel and let rise for 15 minutes. Prep ingredients in the meantime
Step 4: Roll out the dough so it's ⅛ inch thick and top with your favorite toppings.
How to Knead Dough
- Lay your dough on a flat surface.
- Grab the dough furthest away and fold it towards you.
- Turn the dough 90 degrees.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 until your dough ball is smooth with no dimpling. Add a tablespoon of flour to the surface if the dough becomes sticky.
If you're still unsure how to knead the dough, here is a video by All Recipes that will walk you through the steps.
- Dough rolled out to ⅛ inch will give you a hand-tossed crust.
- Dough rolled out ⅙ inch will give you a thicker crust.
I would keep it under ¼ inch thick. In my experience, you want the dough to be a little thinner than you think. While baking, the crust will rise and become thicker.
How to Freeze Homemade Pizza Dough
After you let the dough rise for 15 minutes, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in your freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Thaw Homemade Pizza Dough
Place your pizza dough in the fridge 9 hours before you want to make your pizza. Leave the dough out on the counter for 30 minutes before stretching it. Room-temperature dough is much easier to work with.
When Its Pizza Time
- Oil your baking sheet with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stretch the pizza so it's about ⅛ inch thick.
- Top with sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings.
- Bake at 450F for 10-12 minutes. Or until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.
Quick Pizza Dough
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour +more for kneading
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water around 110-115F
- Mix together flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Add olive oil and water to the bowl. Mix until a shaggy ball forms.
- Mix and Knead the DoughStand Mixer: Mix using a dough hook until smooth and a ball forms, about 3 minutes. Cover the dough with a towel and let rise for 15 minutes. Prep ingredients in the meantime.Mix by Hand: Dump the dough onto a flat floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour if needed. Cover the dough with your bowl or a towel and let rise for 15 minutes. Prep ingredients in the meantime.
- Roll out the dough so it's ⅛ inch thick. One dough ball will make one 16" pizza or two 12" pizzas.
- Top with sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings. Bake at 450F for 10-12 minutes. Or until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.