So easy, so delicious. Spicy Tuna Melt made with tuna, jalapenos, mayo, spices, and a lot of cheddar cheese. All of this between crunchy bread makes for the best sandwich.
- 2 5oz-can tuna in water, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- 2 tsp jalapeno pickling juice
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes (see notes)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup mayo + 2 tbs for spreading on bread
- Salt, to taste
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- Ketchup or Spicy Ketchup for dipping
- Combine the first 6 ingredients, tuna through garlic powder, and 1/3 cup of mayo. Then salt to taste. Add more red pepper flakes till you get your desired heat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread one teaspoon of mayo on one side of the bread. Place mayo side down on the skillet—top with a slice of cheddar cheese, then tuna, and then another slice of cheddar cheese. Spread mayo on another slice of bread, and add on top of the cheese, mayo side up. Repeat to make the 3 other sandwiches.
- Cook until the bread starts to brown, carefully flip, and cook the other side till brown.
- Serve immediately with ketchup or spicy ketchup if you can find it!
- If you use fresh instead of pickled jalapenos substitute white vinegar for the jalapeno pickling juice
- A lot of the heat from this melt comes from the red pepper flakes. Add more or less depending on your spice tolerance.