Doesn’t chicken and mashed potatoes smothered in creamy gravy sound like a great dinner? It only takes 30 minutes to make this comforting Skillet Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy making it perfect for a weeknight meal.
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS SKILLET CHICKEN WITH MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY
- It only takes 30 minutes to make.
- This classic combo of chicken, mash potatoes, and gravy can’t be beat
- The spice mix on this chicken is *chefs kiss*
Most chicken breast cutlets I get are between 1/2″ and 1″ thick. If the ones you have are this thick the cooking time should be 5-6 minutes for each side. If the chicken is thicker, you will have to cook it for longer or pound the chicken so it is 1″ thick. Just make sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes– It’s easy to swap out mashed potatoes for mashed sweet potatoes. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch pieces and cook the same way you would the regular potatoes. The cook time should be the same too. Add the same amount of milk and butter. Salt to taste.
I hope you love this easy Skillet Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 2 lbs russet potatoes peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces, about 2 large potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk, any kind
- 5 tablespoons butter, separated
- 3/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder and pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–1.25lbs Thinly sliced chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Add diced potatoes to a medium pot. Add enough water so that it’s two inches above the potatoes. Bring a boil over high heat. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain water, and return the potatoes to the pot. Add 2 tbs of butter and 1/4 cup of milk. Mash with a fork till smooth. Add more milk if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- While the potatoes cook – Mix together dried oregano, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Use the spice mixture to season the chicken on both sides. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over me over medium heat. Once the butter melts and starts to shimmer, add chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. Once the chicken has cooked through, move to plate. Pour out oil and return the skillet to the burner. reduce heat to medium-low
- Melt 3 tbs of butter in the skillet, then whisk in 2 tbs of flour to the butter mixture. Whisk and cook for 1-2 minutes until it’s golden. Then whisk in chicken broth. Continue to whisk until it thickness, about 5-7 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back into the skillet. Turn heat down to low and cook for 2 more minutes, or until chicken is warm.
- Plate chicken and mashed potatoes. Spoon gravy over the top. Serve with broccoli or other vegetables.
Most chicken breast cutlets I get are between 1/2″ and 1″ thick. If the ones you have are thicker, the cooking time should be 5-6 minutes for each side. If the chicken is thicker, you will have to cook the chicken for longer or pound the chicken, so it is 1″ thick. Just make sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.