This stovetop mac and cheese only takes 20 minutes and is packed with broccoli, carrots, spinach, and two types of cheese.
I used two types of cheese, mild cheddar and smoked gouda. Both of the cheeses worked really well together.
I wanted to add as many veggies as I could. Every bite has cheesy-covered broccoli, carrots, or spinach in it.
This recipe was inspired by Skinny Taste’s Lighter Baked Macaroni and Cheese. I love her recipe but wanted to speed up the recipe by making it on the stovetop and I also added broccoli and carrots to it.
Do you have questions?
Macaroni is a classic, but any short pasta you have will work!
Yes. After the macaroni has been cooking for 4 minutes add in the frozen broccoli and carrots. Bring the water back to a boil and cook for another 5 minutes. Then add in the spinach and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
Substitute Mild Cheddar- Sharp cheddar will give you a stronger cheese flavor, medium cheddar is a compromise between sharp and mild
Substitute Gouda- Parmesan will give you tons of flavor, Gruyere or Fontina will give you a creamier sauce
Watch how it's made…
I hope you love this Quick Veggie Mac and Cheese recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of raw broccoli florets
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced, about ½ cup
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ¼ cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 oz mild cheddar cheese, 1 cup
- 3 oz Gruyere or Smoked Gouda, ¾ cup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni. After the macaroni has been cooking for 4 minutes add in the broccoli florets and carrots, cook for another 4 minutes. Then add in the spinach and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add minced shallot and garlic and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk. Cook for 2-3 minute, until light brown.
- Whisk in milk and broth. Continue to whisk until it becomes thick (about 3-5 minutes), remove from heat, and mix in the cheese. Add salt and pepper.
- Mix in the macaroni and vegetables.
- Serve immediately,
Chop all the vegtables ahead of time to make cooking less stressful.
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 16.7g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: Veggie Mac and Cheese, Mac and Cheese, Vegetables, Veggie