Meatless ragu made with savory baby bella mushroom and warm cinnamon, all served over pappardelle — a warm and comforting vegetarian main dish!
I love any pasta with cinnamon in it, and this easy mushroom ragu is no exception. It’s a great cozy vegetarian pasta dish that is bursting with flavor. It takes a little while to make, 45 minutes, but it’s so easy and hands-off. It will be ready before you know it!
- Alcohol from the wine will cook out as the sauce simmers, but if you don’t want to use wine, you can use broth in place of wine.
- I’ve made this with beef broth before to make the dish a little more savory. The pasta won’t be vegetarian anymore, but still delicious.
- Pappardelle is my favorite pasta for ragus. However, any thick pasta will work for this easy vegetarian mushroom ragu.
I based this recipe on a similar mushroom ragu in the Milk Street: Tuesday Nights cookbook. I simplified the recipe and instructions to make it super quick and easy for you!
I hope you love this Quick Mushroom Ragu recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Have fun!Print
Ragu made with savory baby bella mushroom and warm cinnamon served over pappardelle — a comforting vegetarian main dish!
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound baby bella mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, halved and sliced
- 10 oz dried pappardelle or tagliatelle or reginette
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper taste
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add in garlic, mushrooms, and shallots, salt to taste. Stir often. Cook till the mushrooms have released all of their liquid, about 5 -7 minutes.
- Cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
- And wine to the skillet. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes. Then add the broth, cinnamon, and tomatoes. Cook for 10 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Then reduce the heat to low and cover till pasta is ready.
- Combine the pasta and sauce.