- 1/2 lb. sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, any kind, sliced
- 4 oz tomato paste, about 1/3 cup
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb. short pasta, like rotini
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a Dutch oven, add sausage and cook over medium heat. Break the sausage up into bite size pieces.
- Once the sausage has browned, add diced onion, green peppers, and mushrooms. cook until the veggies start to soften, about 5 minutes
- Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes, oregano, and garlic. Stir until the tomato paste coats the meat and vegetables. Cook until the spices become fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix in pasta and chicken broth. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 14-16 minutes, occasionally stirring until pasta is al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed. If all of the liquid gets absorbed, add 1 tablespoon of water or chicken broth until a creamy sauce forms.
- Remove from heat, stir cheese, and salt to taste. You can top with more red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Protein: 32g