- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow or sweet onion, diced, about 1 cups
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth*
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add olive oil and butter to a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the onions. cook the onions until translucent and soft, about 5-7 minutes
- Then add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the spices become fragrant. Then mix in the rice, salt, and chicken broth.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Once the rice is done, fluff with a fork and serve immediately. Top with chopped cilantro if you like.
If you do not use low sodium chicken broth, do not add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Wait till the rice is done cooking and salt to taste.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 255 Calories
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 697g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: Mediterranean Rice, Yellow Rice, Rice, Side