One-Pot Healthy Chicken and Rice is made with half cauliflower rice, half long-grain rice, so you get all the flavor with ½ of your daily veggie needs. Great for meal prep.
Healthy and easy one-pot comfort food, need I say more. This Healthy Chicken and Rice has almost two cups of vegetables per serving, which is around ½ of your vegetable needs for the day! I made this with half cauliflower and half long grain rice to reduce the carbs and increase the veggies. And you know what, you can't even tell the difference. This is great for meal prep or a weekday night!
Once your chicken and rice is done cooking, you might open the pot and notice there is still excess liquid. Depending on how much water your frozen vegetables give off while cooking, there may be excess liquid. Don't worry. Mix everything up; that should solve the problem. If it doesn't, keep cooking on low uncovered till the excess water evaporates.
I love this combination of vegetables. however, feel free to swap out frozen peas for frozen corn, or fresh carrots for diced onions. Just keep in mind frozen vegetables have more water in them than fresh vegetables, so you will need to adjust your broth accordingly. You can do this by keeping an eye on the pot and add more liquid or removing the lid, so the liquid evaporates.
I hope you love this Healthy Chicken and Rice recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Have fun!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 10 oz frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 ½ cup chopped carrots- 3 medium carrots
- 2 cup chopped broccoli - larger chunks
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leave
- 1 ½ teaspoons of thyme
- 1 lemon, juiced
- In a large dutch oven, add olive oil. Heat the pot on medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add chicken to the pot, cook each side till it starts to brown.
- Add in chicken broth and dissolve the bouillon in the broth. Add everything else, except for the lemon, to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook till rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 25 min.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Transfer the chicken to a plate to chop, then return it to the pot.
- Add lemon to taste, and salt to taste.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 miuntes