This Easy Stovetop Shakshuka (poached eggs in savory tomato stew) paired with crusty bread is perfect. It only takes 30 minutes and is made entirely in one pan. It's my favorite easy meal to make for breakfast and dinner.
Shakshuka is a north North Africa dish that is growing in popularity. Over the past few years I've seen it in many restaurants and featured in magazines. I love making it at home. It's so easy, and it's kind of fun to cook the eggs in the tomato sauce. Those runny egg yokes are so good!
I experimented, and I found the combo of 1 can of tomato sauce and 1 can of petite diced tomatoes made the best Shakshuka. The tomato stew is thick and chunky, perfect for eating with your eggs and scooping up with bread! After you add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to the pan, cook for 7-9 minutes till it thickens up a little. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can add water to thin it out.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE OTHER POPULAR DINNER RECIPES:
I hope you love this Easy Stovetop Shakshuka recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (or half of a large onion)
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 large eggs
- 5 ounces feta, crumbled (about ¼ cups)
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook until onion becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes. then add in garlic and cook, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, paprika, and cayenne, and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add in tomato suace and diced tomatoes. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer until suace has thickened, about 7- 9 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Create 4 wells in the sauce. Gently crack eggs into the wells. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Cover skillet, cook until eggs are just set, 4-7 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and feta and serve with crusty bread.
- Prep Time: 12 Minutes
- Cook Time: 18 Minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 370
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Protein: 17g