Skip takeout with this Easy Healthy Orange Chicken recipe! We cut out the grease but keep the orange, tangy, and slightly spicy flavors that make you love orange chicken.
This Easy Healthy Orange Chicken is so simple to make, only takes 30 minutes, and won't make you feel sick after indulging in it. The flavors are just what you want: tangy, sweet, and a little bit spicy.
There is a serious orange chicken problem in my apartment. I'm talking twice a month we are ordering orange chicken from our favorite place. It was really becoming a problem because 1. delivery is not cheap, and 2. I have no self-control. If you put a mound of gleaming orange chicken in front of me, I will eat it until I feel sick. SO when I started making this skinny orange chicken version at home all my problems are solved 🙂
- Orange Chicken Sauce
- Orange Juice- I've used fresh orange juice and juice from a carton for this recipe. Fresh orange juice definitely tastes better, but the juice from the carton works in a pinch.
- Brown Sugar- Adds a slight sweetness to your sauce
- Soy Sauce- Adds flavor and brings out the flavors of the other ingredients
- Ginger Powder- Optional, but adds a nice spice to the sauce
- Garlic Cloves- Garlic is just the best, am I right?
- Red Chili Flakes- I like my orange chicken with a little kick
- Corn Starch- Thickens up the sauce so it can cling to the chicken
- Chicken Breast- I went with chicken breast. I wouldn't recommend chicken thighs as the chicken might come out a little more greasy than you would want.
- Broccoli - I add extra broccoli to my orange chicken as a way to sneak in extra veggies and because the orange sauce is so good. I want to smother the sauce on top of everything. Some veggie alternatives could be cauliflower or snap peas.
Store any extra chicken in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on a skillet.
I hope you love this Easy Healthy Orange Chicken recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 12 oz bag frozen broccoli
- Orange Chicken Sauce:
- ¾ cup orange juice (fresh or from a carton)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- ½ tbs corn starch
- 1 pound chicken breast or tenders, cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Prepare broccoli as directed, drain excess liquid, and set aside.
- Mix Orange Chicken Sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
- Toss diced chicken in flour.
- Heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken to the skillet, making sure to shake off any excess flour and not to overcrowd the pan. Cook till chicken has browned, about 4-5 min on each side and the chicken has cooked through. If you need to cook the chicken in a second batch, transfer the chicken to a plate, wipe down the skillet, and repeat this step. Once all of the chicken has cooked, place the chicken back into the skillet.
- Add Orange Chicken Sauce to the skillet, bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for an additional 4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency. Toss in the cooked broccoli, and mix until everything is well coated.
- Serve over rice.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes