béchamel sauce/ white gravy:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, low-fat or whole
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 8 slices high-quality ham, 8 oz
- 3 ounces grated Gruyere cheese, about 1 cup ( you can also use swiss)
- 4 fried eggs
making the béchamel sauce
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, continue whisking until it turns a golden brown, about 1-3 minutes. Gradually add in milk, whisking until the mixture has thickened, about 2-5 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside while you make the sandwiches.
making the sandwiches:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place half you’re your bread slices on the sheet pan. Using half of the béchamel sauce, spread a thin layer of sauce onto each slice, spreading it to the edges.
- Top each slice with ham and half of the gruyere cheese. Place another slice of bread on top and top with the remaining béchamel sauce and gruyere cheese.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted, then broil until the top of the sandwiches are lightly golden, 2-4 minutes.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve immediately.
You can make the Béchamel up to 4 days in advanced.
- Prep Time: 18 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
- Calories: 460
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: Croque Madame, Sandwich, Brunch, French Sandwich