Croque Madame is a ham and cheese sandwich covered in white gravy and topped with a fried egg. They are pretty easy to make and are great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
I first had this French sandwich at a restaurant in Dallas, Bread Winners. It was so good and the perfect brunch sandwich. I have craved that sandwich ever since.
Croque Madame is a ham and cheese sandwich covered in Béchamel sauce (you might know it as white gravy) and topped with a sunny-side-up egg. They are a super popular sandwich in French bistros and for good reason. They are so good. If you opt-out the egg on top you will have a Croque Monsieur.
They are pretty easy to make. Lay out half of your bread slices on a large sheet pan. Spread a layer of béchamel over them. Then add cheese and ham. Place another piece of bread on top and spread a layer of béchamel on that piece and top with more cheese. Bake in the oven till the cheese melts then top the sandwiches with a fried egg!
Do you have questions?
Both are ham and cheese sandwiches covered in gravy and baked till the cheese starts to melt, but a Croque monsieur doesn’t have an egg on top and a Croque madame does.
Watch how it's made...
I hope you love this Croque Madame recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!
béchamel sauce/ white gravy:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk low-fat or whole
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 8 slices high-quality ham 8 oz
- 3 ounces grated Gruyere cheese about 1 cup ( you can also use swiss)
- 4 fried eggs
making the béchamel sauce
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, continue whisking until it turns a golden brown, about 1-3 minutes. Gradually add in milk, whisking until the mixture has thickened, about 2-5 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside while you make the sandwiches.
making the sandwiches:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place half you’re your bread slices on the sheet pan. Using half of the béchamel sauce, spread a thin layer of sauce onto each slice, spreading it to the edges.
- Top each slice with ham and half of the gruyere cheese. Place another slice of bread on top and top with the remaining béchamel sauce and gruyere cheese.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted, then broil until the top of the sandwiches are lightly golden, 2-4 minutes.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve immediately.