Creamy Skillet Mushroom Mac and Cheese is a quick way to get your daily dose of savory mushroom and creamy mac and cheese. 20 minutes to the easiest and savoriest mac and cheese you've had in a while.
I love how all the flavors come together to make a bright, cheesy, and savory mac and cheese. It's not too heavy, and there is the perfect amount of mushrooms. Also, it only takes 20 minutes to make if you buy pre-sliced mushrooms. How can you beat that?
Do not let the sauce come to a rolling boil, or the cream may split. If that happens, remove the sauce from the heat ASAP. Whisk intensely for a few minutes. You can also add a tablespoon or two more of the cream to help cool down the sauce. After about a minute, it should start coming back together. The best thing to do to prevent the sauce from splitting is to keep it to a soft simmer.
- Mushrooms- any mushroom will work; I used baby bella
- White Balsamic Vinegar- I love using this vinegar because it is light, bright, and fruity. I thought I paired it perfectly with the mushrooms and cheese. If you can't find this vinegar, rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar are okay substitutes.
- Veggie Broth - I use broth to help thin out the sauce. If you don't feel like opening a new can, just use ½ of pasta water instead, or any other broth you have lying around!
- Alternative Cheeses- I also tried this mac and cheese out with a parmesan/ fontina blend, and it was good, but the gruyere is so so so much better.
CREAMY SKILLET MUSHROOM MAC & CHEESE VIDEO
I hope you love this Creamy Skillet Mushroom Mac and Cheese recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- ½ pounds pasta, any shape
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms, any kind
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried thyme AND dried oregano leaves
- 1.5 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup heavy / thickened cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally. Cook until the mushrooms are golden brown and most of the liquid has evaporated about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, white balsamic vinegar, thyme, oregano. Cook until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Then mix in flour and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add in broth, cream, parmesan, and gruyere. Stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Then bring the sauce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until it thickens. Keep it at a simmer. If it becomes more of a boil, reduce the heat.
- Remove from heat, salt, and pepper to taste, and mix in the pasta. Serve immediately 🙂
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 600