Creamy Red Lentil Soup is made with potatoes, kale, and carrots. The broth is made with vegetable broth and coconut milk.
What you'll love about this soup
- a hearty soup with lots of protein
- it's super creamy
- taste even better the next day
Olive Oil: helps to cook the vegetables
Onion: adds flavor
Carrots: adds flavor and light sweetness to the soup
Garlic: adds flavor
Paprika and Cumin: adds warmth and earthiness to the soup
Red Lentils: the main star
Vegetable Broth: use low sodium
Russet Potato: cut into 1inch cubes
Full-Fat Coconut Milk: make the soup creamy and slightly sweet
Kale: stem removed and chopped
🔪 How to Make Creamy Red Lentil Soup with Potatoes
1. Cook Veggies: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots. Cook until they soften, about 10 minutes.
2. Add Spices: Add garlic, paprika, and cumin, and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the spices become fragrant.
3. Add Lentils, Broth, and Potatoes: Add the lentils, vegetable broth, potatoes, and salt to the pot. Turn the heat to high to bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
4. Cook: Cover and cook for 20 or until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Add Kale and Coconut Milk: Add the chopped kale and coconut milk. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Serve: Add additional broth or salt, if needed.
🥡 How to Store
Store leftover soup in an airtight container for 4 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it for up to 4 months.
They are legumes (like beans and peas) with a mild flavor. When they are cooked, they break down and become slightly mushy. This makes them perfect for soup!
Unlike green lentils, red lentils do not have their outer covering and are split into halves, making them cook faster.
👩🍳Tips & Tricks
You'll know your red lentils are done cooking when they turn a golden color and become slightly mushy. You can also taste them to make sure they are tender.
Creamy Red Lentil Soup with Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ cups red lentils rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 medium russet potato cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 14- ounce can of full-fat coconut milk unsweetened
- 2 stems of kale stem removed, chopped, about 2 cups
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots. Cook until they soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, paprika, and cumin, and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, potatoes, and salt to the pot. Turn the heat to high to bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 or until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped kale and coconut milk. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add additional broth or salt, if needed.
This Creamy Red Lentil Soup was inspired by Pinch of Yum Red Lentil Soup and Food52 Red Lentil Soup.
Want more soup recipes?
- Fall Creamy Wild Rice Soup
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!