This Cornbread Without Buttermilk is fluffy, moist, and slightly sweet. It's easy to make and the perfect side to any Southern dish.
This is an easy homemade cornbread recipe. The buttery, fluffy cornbread only takes 30 minutes to make. You can make it in a baking dish or cast iron skillet.
Many cornbread recipes call for buttermilk, but it's not necessary. Regular milk, or nut milk, is a great alternative and will give you perfectly moist and fluffy cornbread.
Flour: cornbread typically has a 1:1 ratio of flour and cornmeal
Yellow Cornmeal: you can also use white cornmeal; the cornbread will just be paler
Sugar: ¼ cup will make it slightly sweet
Salt: brings out the flavors
Milk: adds moisture to the batter
Eggs: two eggs make the cornbread fluffier and less crumbly
Melted Butter: keeps the cornbread from drying out and adds a nice buttery flavor
🔪 How to Make Cornbread
1. Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Add Eggs: Make a well in the center, add the eggs, and lightly beat.
3. Mix Wet Ingredients: Add milk and butter. Mix until everything comes together, don't overmix. A few lumps are okay.
4. Bake: Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until the top is a deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
🥡 How to Store
Store in an air-tight container. If you store it on the counter or pantry, it will keep for 1-3 days. In the fridge, it will last 4-5 days.
The only difference is in color. You can use white cornmeal if you can't find yellow. Cornbread made with white cornmeal will still be a pale yellow because of the butter and eggs.
Lower the oven temperature to 375F and bake for 5-10 minutes longer.
Sub out 1 cup of all-purpose flour for 1 cup of gluten-free flour.
👩🍳Tips & Tricks
You can make these into muffins too! The batter will make 12 muffins. Reduce the cooking time to 15 minutes.
Cornbread Without Buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk any kind
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter or neutral oil (like vegetable oil)
- Spray a 9-inch square cake pan with non-stick spray and preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center, add the eggs, and lightly beat. Add milk and melted butter. Mix until everything comes together, don't overmix. A few lumps are okay.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then cut into 16 pieces.
Need more sides?
- Mediterranean Rice
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese