Easy weeknight dinner that only leaves your house smelling amazing. This meal is hearty and spicy. Add avocado, pico, or sour cream to top off your Chicken Tinga Bowl.
I finally got a dutch oven, and the first thing I wanted to make in it, Chichen Tinga! I absolutely love anything with Chiplte in it, and the dutch oven was supper forgiving when I was cooking the chicken and onions.
I Love topping this bowl with mashed avocado, lime, cilantro, maybe some pico de gallo or jalapenos. Any way you top it, this is good.
Hit print to screenshot this recipe for later, or Pin it and come back when you are ready.
Chicken Tinga Bowl
Easy weeknight dinner that only leaves your house smelling amazing. This meal is hearty and spicy. Add avocado, pico, or sour cream to top off your Chicken Tinga Bowl.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 6 -8 Servings
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion halved and sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 28-ounce whole can tomatoes ( and juice)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus 2 tablespoons juice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half of chicken and brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook, frequently stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then mix in the tomatoes, broth, chipotles, and adobo sauce. Smash the tomatoes with a wooden or platic utinsiel and bring to boil.
- Return chicken to the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until meat registers 195 degrees, 15 to 20 minutes.
- To make the rice add rice, water, lime juice, and salt to a large pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Once the chicken is done. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Shred and return to pot. Add lime juice and zest to the pot.
- Add cilantro to the rice.
- Add rice and chicken to a bowl. You can add avocado, cilantro, or sour cream to the bowl!
Don't know what to make this week?Join the email list & get a free e-book: Easy Dinners for Lazy Nights
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!