This cheesy sausage veggie and rice skillet include chicken sausage, onion, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, rice, and cheddar cheese. You can make this all in one skillet, making it a perfect weeknight dinner.
This meal reminds me a lot of a cheddar broccoli and rice casserole, but like a super version of it, with their 4 different kinds of vegetable and chicken sausage. It’s like eating a classic holiday side as a complete meal, and I love it.
The first step in making this is browning the sausage. This step is optional, but it adds flavor and makes the sausage look tastier. If you decide to skip this step, it will save you about 7 minutes when you add the rice, broccoli, and broth to the skillet. That’s when you will add the cooked sliced sausage.
- Can I use frozen broccoli? Sure! Cook the frozen broccoli as directed on package and throw it in after the rice is done cooking.
- Can I replace one of the vegetables? You can omit or replace any vegetables you don’t like. A few replacement suggestions are cauliflower, spinach, zucchini, asparagus, or butternut squash.
I hope you love this Cheesy Sausage Veggies and Rice recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz. cooked chicken sausage sliced
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 small carrots sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white long grain rice uncooked
- 1 cup raw broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ teaspoon pinch Red Pepper Flakes optional
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- This step is optional: Add cooked sausage to the skillet and sauté till they start to brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer sausage to a plate and keep oil in the skillet.
- Add onion, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic to the skillet. Cook till the onions and bell peppers start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken broth, rice, uncooked broccoli florets, salt, and sausage. Turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15-17 minutes, or until the rice is done. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- Once the rice is done cooking, mix in milk, cheddar cheese, and red pepper flakes. Stir until everything is well combined. Serve immediately.
Inspired by the Cozy Cook Sausage and Rice. I added more vegetables and made the recipe lighter.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!