Cast Iron Chicken Breast involves chicken, olive oil, spices, and a lemon. It comes out juicy and full of flavor. I think this will be your new favorite way to make chicken breasts.
The best chicken breasts are perfectly seared on the outside and juicy on the inside. My favorite way to achieve that is by using a cast-iron skillet.
You first sear the outside of the chicken to make it golden brown, then finish it off in the oven to keep the chicken juicy!
What I love about this cast iron skillet chicken breasts:
- One Pan Meal: you only need a cast-iron skillet, really cutting down on your dirty dishes
- Healthy: the chicken is a lean protein that will fill you up!
- Fresh and Bright: lemony herby flavor with a salty savory finish
- Quick and Easy: 35 minutes and only involved chicken, olive oil, spices, and a lemon
What you need to make cast iron skillet chicken breasts
- Chicken Breast: I buy packages that are usually between 1.25-1.5 pounds
- Olive Oil: helps to sear the chicken and bring out the flavor of the spices
- Salt: this chicken is perfectly salty
- Rosemary: adds a fresh floral flavor
- Thyme: adds a fresh floral flavor
- Pepper: adds a little spice to the chicken
- Garlic Powder: adds flavor without having to chop garlic
- Onion Powder: adds flavor without having to chop an onion
- Lemon: squeeze lemon on the chicken before it cooks in the oven to tenderize the meat a little, then squeeze the lemon over when it's done cooking to give the chicken a strong lemon flavor
How to make this tasty chicken
Mix salt, rosemary, thyme, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Pat the chicken dry and season it with the spice mixture.
Sear Chicken on one side. Flip the chicken over and squeeze lemon juice over it.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook the chicken for 17-20 minutes.
Customize your chicken
Top with cheese: add finely grated parmesan when there is 7 minutes left on the chicken
Make it Spicy: swap out the rosemary for ½ tablespoon paprika and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
What to serve with cast iron skillet chicken breasts
- Mediterranean Rice
- Oven Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- Jiffy Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
How to store
Store any leftover chicken in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Do you have questions?
Even if your cast iron is nonstick, you still need oil to help sear the chicken. You will not need a lot of oil, though.
Tips and Tricks
Ensure your skillet is hot and the oil is shimmery before adding the chicken. This will help the chicken get nice color on it.
You only need to sear one side of the chicken before putting the skillet into the oven. The heat of the pan and the oven will help the other side become golden brown without burning.
Watch how it's made...
I hope you love this Cast Iron Chicken Breast recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!
Cast Iron Chicken Breast
- 1 ½ pounds of chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt dried rosemary, and dried thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper garlic powder, and onion powder
- 1 lemon cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Mix salt, rosemary, thyme, pepper, garlic, and onion powder in a small dish. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Generously season the chicken on each side with the spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large cast-iron skillet or an ovenproof skillet. When the oil is hot, place the chicken in the pan. Cook until the skin starts to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and squeeze juice from the lemon halves over the top of each chicken breast. Place the lemons in the pan, cut-side down. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165 F.
- Let the chicken rest for 3 minutes before cutting it. If you want the chicken to have a stronger lemon flavor, squeeze the lemon halves over the chicken again. Be careful. The lemons may still be hot.
I also like cooking thinly sliced chicken breast in a skillet. It makes the perfect chicken for a salad!