Caritas Fries are perfect for game days or large gatherings. Easy to make and super tasty.
These loaded fries are really good, and they are pretty simple to make. The carnitas meat is made in a slow cooker, and we used frozen french fries.
Buy premade Pico de Gallo ( or make homemade pico de gallo) and top these fries off with sour cream, mashed up avocado, and hot sauce. Everyone will love these.
This recipe calls for orange juice to be added to the crockpot. I like using store bought orange juice (like Simply Orange) for this recipe. Fresh orange juice from oranges will taste better if you’re willing to put in a little more effort.
I’ve made this with and without the jalapeno seeds. The seeds make the carnitas pretty spice, but I think the cheese and toppings help mellow the heat.
If you want your fries to be on the spicier side, include the jalapeno seeds. If you want more mellow fries, do not include the seeds.
OTHER CARNITAS RECIPIES
I went a little crazy with the carnitas and made 3 other recipes featuring the slow cooker pork. If you happened to buy too much pork and don’t know what to do with it, or are in the carnitas mood, check out the other recipes below.
I hope you love this Carnitas Fries recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!Print
- 1/2–1 lb lean boneless pork loin roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped*
- 1/4 cup orange juice (you can juice 2-3 oranges or use orange juice)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, salt, AND pepper
- 1/2 lb extra crispy Frozen fries
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- Toppings: Smashed Avocado, Hot sauce or ranch dressing, Pico de Gallo, Sour cream
To make Carnitas:
- Add all of the carnitas ingredients to a slow cooker and give everything a stir to combine. Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. The pork is done once it’s shredded easily with a fork.
- Remove pork from the slow cooker and shred it with a fork. Add a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid to the pork to add more flavor
To makes Carnitas Fries:
- Bake fries on a large baking sheet as directed on the packaging.
- Once the fires are done, remove them from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Transfer half the fries to a plate. And gather the other half in the middle of your pan.
- Top the fries with ¾ cup of cheese and half of the meat. Layer the remaining fries on top, then add the rest of the meat and cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt. Then turn on your broiler and broil for 2-4 minutes so the meat can brown.
- Top with sour cream, hot sauce, Pico de Gallo, or smashed avocado.
Included the jalapeno seeds for a medium spice level
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 310
- Fat: 18.5g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Protein: 22g
Keywords: Carnitas Fries, Loaded Fries, Carnitas, Slowcooker