This Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich is an AMAZING weeknight meal. It’s super easy and tasty. The chicken is juicy with just the right amount of spice.
I love a chicken sandwich. These Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich are my new favorite meal to make at home. They are easy to make and so so good. We marinated the chicken in pickle juice to make a juicy and tender chicken sandwich.
It's important to pound your chicken so it's about ½ inch thick. That way, all the chicken pieces cook at the same rate, and outside breading doesn’t burn while the inside is still raw. I used a heavy meat pounder to get the chicken the right thickness, but you can use a rolling pin too.
Don’t want it to be spicy? Instead of using ½ tablespoon of garlic powder, pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne, use ½ teaspoon. I did this by accident when I was testing out this recipe, and it resulted in a flavorful chicken sandwich that was no spicy at all.
No pickle juice on hand? You can use ¼ cup water and ¼ cup white vinegar in place of the pickle juice.
I hope you love this Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich recipe! If you make it leave a comment! You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #meganvskitchen. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 16 ounces
- ½ cup pickle juice
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder pepper, smoked paprika, AND cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 buns
- Optional Toppings: Tomatoes Lettuce, Pickles
- Pound the thicker end of the chicken breast till the chicken is the same thickness on both ends, about ½-inch thick (this will make sure the pieces cook at the same rate), then cut each breast in half to make 4 pieces.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of salt and pickle juice together in a large bowl. Add in the chicken pieces and cover. Refrigerate and let marinate for 2-12 hours.
- Whisk together milk, an egg, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Mix flour, salt, garlic powder, pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne on a large plate
- Using a fork, dip a piece of chicken in the flour mixture. Use the fork to pat the chicken into the flour and make sure it’s well coated. Shake off any excess flour. Then dip it into the egg mixture and then dip it back into the flour. Shake off any extra flour. Repeat the steps with the other 3 pieces of chicken.
- Place the chicken into an air fryer pre-heated to 375 degrees—spray the chicken with oil.
- Cook for 15-18 minutes or until the thickest part of the breast reads 165°F. Flip the chicken halfway through cooking.